Hugh Fearlessly and good energy

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hugh Fearlessly and good energy

Came across this in the current River Cottage newsletter. Placed here out of interest and for comment.

http://www.goodenergy.co.uk/

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Hugh Fearlessly and good energy

I think this needs to be moved to the appropriate section rather than in the Hello to newbies section! :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Big Al

jim wrote:Came across this in the current River Cottage newsletter. Placed here out of interest and for comment.

http://www.goodenergy.co.uk/

Love and Peace
Jim
and the cynic in me says each time the link is used for a sign up HFW will get a commision....

Told you I was a cynic.....
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

xone
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I quite like the idea of this >> http://www.goodenergy.co.uk/?page_id=3075

This is also interesting >>http://www.goodenergy.co.uk/?page_id=46 In particular the part about you "not" needing a export meter!

dave45

You like the idea of paying more than you need to for your gas so that other people can pay less for their solar hot water?

a trivial exercise in the grand scheme of things, and effectively a voluntary conscience tax... with no proof of effectiveness

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear MMM,

Please place it in the appropriate section if you have the time and inclination.

Dear Big Al.

Think you are probably right, but in order to avoid the laws of libel I believe we have to use the term "ALLEGEDLY".

Dear Xone and Dave45,

Thanks, it was placed for comment, I'm pleased someone took the time and trouble to do so,

Love and Peace
Jim

Greenbeast

is it me or is there no prices?

Millymollymandy

jim wrote:Dear MMM,

Please place it in the appropriate section if you have the time and inclination.
I already have Jim. :lol: But I'll take out the shadow topic now that you and everyone (hopefully) know that it is in the Alt Energy section.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear MMM,

Ta,

Love and Peace
Jim

xone

dave45 wrote:You like the idea of paying more than you need to for your gas so that other people can pay less for their solar hot water?

a trivial exercise in the grand scheme of things, and effectively a voluntary conscience tax... with no proof of effectiveness
Yeah, I do. Have been on the dog to them today and have some facts.
Firstly, we all know the grid is supplied by all sorts of energy production so you can't actually detail where the energy you use is coming from, however, Good energy use's energy from micro generation and only that.
Secondly, they are the only company in europe that'll pay you to produce your own hot water, not bad as they can't actually determin how much you actually use or have generated.
Thirdly, Good energy pays you, if you produce your own electricity, 15p per unit, you may think there are others that pay more, in fact there are but they pay you for every unit that's generated and put into the grid, Good energy pay 15p per unit on your total generation and not whats just being put back into the grid so they are paying you for what you use as well. So imagine if you had a 6kw turbine in a nice windy area and you only ever used only a little of that, say a third, I'll leave it up to you to imagine what you'd be paid back.

Also they aren't much more expensive than other major energy companys and if you're producing any sort of renewable energy you'll soon have that little increase paid off. I'd sooner go with Good energy than for instance EDF with their green wash cr@p, or infact any other energy company thats gives the impression that they are all good and environment conscience.

As for effectivness, they only need to prove that people are happy to sign up for it to work and it also gives people more of an incentive to get a renewable installed.

dave45

I suppose I should confess to being a Good Energy (electricity) customer myself. I started having doubts about them when gas prices almost doubled and so did their prices, even though their production costs are completely unaffected by gas prices. I didn't get a very satisfactory reply from them on that topic, nor on the topic of profits from resale of ROCs. I want to support environmental causes but I don't want to be ripped off. I'm afraid I have no idea what is the "right thing" to do in this area.

dave45

And you are not quite correct. I DO produce a smidge of my own energy frrom sun and wind, but I am not grid-connected. Nobody pays me anything and it cost me a fortune. I am not a fan of domestic RE. Currently it makes no economic sense at all and there is far too much hype and rubbish spoken in its favour. google the Warwick Wind Trials for some real info. I also paid Encraft for a survey on the potential for solar water heating here. Conclusion: dismal.

We need all energy prices to triple at least before any of this makes sense..

dave45

and according to Uswitch I can save around 300 quid a year by switching away from Good Energy.... hmmm ... maybe I could do something more "green" directly with that..... like buying another solar panel