lpg

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
TheReaper
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

lpg

hi all

i wonder if anyone on here has had experince of lpg conversion cars?

my let down with my eco liking is engines. but with fuel costs, performance cars or v8s arnt excactly cheap to run now, i own a r32 skyline at current.

so has anyone had ecperince with them? been doing some research and plenty of pros and cons out there.

tho i know there still a fossil fuel, i believe they give of less co2 which cant be bad.

i have considered buy a car with an install pre done, to see if it works, once ive found as much info as i can. before doing it on my pride and joy.

cheers all.

johnathan

Nick69
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: lpg

A decent LPG conversion will not make any difference to performance but imho you are wasting your time on a R32. I had an R34 with LPG and it was a waste of time. I currently have a 1970 Mustang with LPG and its sweet as a nut. Yet I only do 1000 miles a year in it, its my baby and my only non ish thing.

How many miles do you do a year in your Nissan?

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Practically the same yield of CO2 as any other hydrocarbon per kilo burnt, I'm afraid. But the emissions of NOx and SOx (those that get past the catalytic converter) are lower.

The major issue that people I've known who have made the switch is that the LPG tank takes up a lot of space in the boot. It needs to be big because LPG has a far lower density than petrol (0.51-0.57 per litre vs around 0.74 for gasoline) so the volume for a given weight is higher and because the tank itself needs to withstand the pressure of the liquified gas it contains.

TheReaper
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

well its my only car atm. so quiote a few.
tbh, my idea was of a daily car, and i really want an old xj jag v8. simply cos ive wanted one for a long time, and to get into a jag for a tdi im looking at an x type, as the s type is out of the budget and that kind of sucks.
i did however see a impreza with an lpg conversion, and i thought well its cheap if i keep lookign at this may buy one similar and see how ti goes.

boot space isnt to much of a worry

however, last night i started looking ont he web where there are filling stations that sell it, thinking shell etc must do them all and ive just not looked. as i use v power for the skyline then just be like atm.
however not all do, and the only place near me is very near, but is a bussiness and aint open when i often fill up, and the others ones are over 10 mile away. which is just going to be in convinent.

so maybe im not onto a winner there. not where i live anyway.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

TheReaper wrote:and the others ones are over 10 mile away. which is just going to be in convinent.
This made me smile :icon_smile: (sorry Reaper)
My nearest petrol station is 15 miles away, as is my nearest supermarket ... and my nearest Te$co is just over 50 miles away.
Just goes to illuminate the difference between town living and stick dwellers.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Nick69
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

10 miles doesnt get me on to a main road!!

TheReaper
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

oh wow, you guys sound like you got some fantastic places.
i say that as i love nature and dont like living in towns. tho i find 10miles to a station a problem, maybe id have to change that thought haha
4x4 territory then. that was my other idea, a 4x4 haha.

biodiesel running or the old veg oil, which ever is easier and betetr to use haha