please advise on hydro power/wind etc

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
bryan comerford
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

please advise on hydro power/wind etc

hi all,please bear with me as i'm here to learn and have no idea on where to start.
ok,i have leased a very remote island in fiji and wish to build there shortly and i am thinking the best solution would be wind turbines,but where to start everyone says they have the best product??.
i was thinking of two or three 3.3kw wind turbines,can anybody advise me on this.
my biggest and hardest question for some clever cookie is...
is there a company that manufactures an alternative (hydro?) power plant suitable for powering a house???
i have looked and searched but can only find units to power a city or even country :-)
with the sea at my doorstep this would be the best solution for me if there is a manufacturer out there.
sorry for the story,thanks heaps

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi Bryan and welcome to the site.

Can't help you with the power but are you in Wellington NZ or Wellington UK?

Leasing an island in FIJI? :shock: That's where I'm from!

bryan comerford
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

alternative energy

wellington new zealand
yes fiji,lau group.
i really really wanted an island in tonga but it is just the most impossible country to try and get anything done and acheived in.
had a deposit on an island for 2 years and still the govt has not approved the lease.grrrrrrrrr

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Hello Bryan,

An island in Fuji sounds like a whole lifestyle choice.

I think our man Martin might be best to advise you about wind power and things. But that won't stop me adding my 2 penny's worth.

I reckon your best bet is going to be wind and solar. In the UK, most of the calculations that I've seen estimate that the average output of a wind turbine is about one third of its maximum output, so a 3.3kW turbine will give an average output of 1.1kW. Over the course of a year, that would be around 10,000 kWh (units) of electricity. In terms of domestic use, this is quite a lot, but you will need storage batteries, and inverters and things to make full use of this, and these add inefficiencies into the system.

If, by hydro power, you are meaning tidal or wave power, then I think you might find large scale installations are the only commercial options - not many people have their own private sea. But if you are considering making your own kit, you might be able to adapt the technology to a smaller scale application.

However, if you have access to a river, particularly one that is fast flowing, or falls from a height, then you you could look into water turbines. With sufficient flow of water, these can be quite an effective means of generating electricity.

Anyway, good luck with your island. Will you have an internet connection, so you can keep us posted about life there?
Stew

Ignorance is essential

ina

Hi Bryan, and welcome!

Hydro power on a small scale - I only know of small units driven by a stream (like those oldfashioned water mills), but not through wave or tidal power.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Martin

my advice

would be to go for a mixture - if you have running water, it is classically the fastest "payback" of all electricity generation - and there is an excellent selection on our supplier's website - http://navitron.org.uk/hydro_power.htm
- we could supply you with any of their range, at the same prices - but to be frank, you'd probably be better off buying direct from China, and have them shipped direct - it wouldn't be very ecologically sensible to keep shunting wind and water turbines round the globe! Again, I'd suggest having a look at their range of wind turbines http://navitron.org.uk/wind_turbine.htm
Why Chinese? - let's be frank, nearly all "manufactured" goods nowadays are made in whole or in part in China - we have become aware of a vast business selling Chinese goods misleadingly labelled to give the impression that they are "swiss" or "german", with hefty price tags, as there are several layers of middlemen taking a profit. :?
Have a look round their website - it should give you an idea of the sort of price levels you should be looking at!
You may even find a use for solar water heating too - another reasonably quick "pay back"
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

bryan comerford
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

alternative energy in fiji

well hi guys,thanks for your replies.
sorry the net has been down here whilst i had jetstream installed.
unfortunately no river or creek,just the sea.
i would have thought with all of the resorts around the world that someone would have manufactured a tidal generator on a smaller scale.there is a abandoned lighthouse on the island that has been inoperable for many many years and this will be good for the wind turbine/s to be attatched to and has great height,as well i will look at what solar panels/systems are available.
as for china,yes no problem i have been importing from china for the last 17 years.
thanks again and i will keep in touch :lol: