Broadminded and alternative midwives

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
basil_brush
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Broadminded and alternative midwives

My partner is pregnant and will be doing a home birth like she did with her daughter, which is really nice. She has a thyroid problem though and is using her own herbal/homeopathic treatment for this, but she is uncomfortable about medical people making a fuss and pressuring her to take the standard medicines (which tackle the symptoms and not the problem). She wants the standard ultrasound scan because it's fun for her but otherwise does not any medical intervention at all. As for the birth itself, she is not confident to do the full Lotus Birth but does want to be able to breastfeed the baby for a while before having the cord severed. Does anyone know how we could find a very broadminded and unofficious midwive, someone who is very laid back and lets the parents do whatever they want to do and she just lingers around to give assistance in case of an emergency? Someone in the west Wiltshire or east Somerset area would be best but I guess we could consider further afield. Preferably we need someone on the NHS although we would consider paying privately for the right person. Many thanks.

citizentwiglet
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Broadminded and alternative midwives

Sounds like you're looking for a Doula, to be honest.

A lot of my friends are very into home birth / free birth / detest hospital intervention etc, some of them have set up a Facebook group and a forum, I think it's called 'Trust Birth' (I'll find out for you). They're a wealth of knowledge and, as I understand it, they have a lot of members who are doulas and should be able to point you in the right direction.

I didn't have a home birth - I'd have loved one, but I have a blood condition and was a high dependency mum. Yes, I'd have loved a home birth, but I did trust the medics when they said it wasn't advised. They DID try and get me to do X, Y and Z (including trying to book me in for an induction at 39 weeks with my second), but I just put my foot down. Actually, I'd been preparing for a fight, but they were fine about it; I was actually really surprised how relaxed they were; so they are not all power-hungry demons. If she tells them to back off, they may just do that.

Good luck with it all, it's a very exciting time!
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

citizentwiglet

http://www.trustbirth.co.uk/

(Hope it's OK to post this link.....)
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

sheridand
Tom Good
Tom Good

If she is taking herbal supplemenst for thyroid probs, please be aware that these can make the problem WORSE. If she has autoimmune thyroid disorder, she will need to take medication, NO QUESTION, or it is extremely dangerous. I know whereof I speak because I was in the situation. Taking supplements and not medication led to a TSH of over 450 and near coma! It is also linked to heavy bleeding after labour, which I have had both times. Post babby the thyroid goes into freefall, without being stable there is a huge risk. Furthermore, the risk to mother and child whilst pregnant of a high TSH is severe, I would really, really recommend seeing a GP. I had to go under care at Addenbrookes with daughter as my TSH was high, it can lead to many complications. Please see about finding a good doctor!

sheridand
Tom Good
Tom Good

Just realised that sounded panicky! I don't mean to sound officious, but I was taking herbal supplements for years and they made the problem much, much worse. I was hospitalised for months, and the endocrinologist explained to me that not taking medication was simply not an option. Pregnant with DD, my TSH was still in the high 30's, and this led to a very high risk of brain development problems and other physical defects. Luckily, Dd is fine, with only afew small physical oddities of little consequence, but the condition can be serious during pregnancy for the baby. If your partner is worried about taking synthetic thyroxine or carbizomole, they can always take Armour, which is natural thyroid extract, and by all accounts, far better, though it is difficult to get in the UK. I had to have transfusions both times, risk is increased by about 60% if you have autoimmune thryoid disease, so your midwife would need to be aware of that. Post baby it can affect your milk supply in various ways and also cause severe thyroiditis symptoms. I often come across women who have been badly treated / misdiagnosed or self medicated with thyroid disease and it is something i've got a thing about: it is a hidden epidemic.
I've also got a lot of info on parabens/ flouride and so on for thyroid sufferers, it can and does make a diff, PM me if you want.

NaturalBlue
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 51 36 13
longitude: 1 50 10

You could always try a private midwife if you can afford it, there's some excellent ones in Wiltshire - I can get names if you'd like them!? Private midwives will give you one to one care, so the same person who does your antenatal visits will also attend your labour (where humanly possible). They obviously have expert medical knowledge and are prepared to deal with more intensive conditions in a home birth than nhs midwives as they have the time and will meet you a lot more than once!! They can also come with you for a hospital birth if it becomes necessary.

Hope it all goes well for you - but please if nothing else find a dr you like and can trust - Drs aren't the monsters they are sometimes made out to be, they are genuinely trying to do their best for your baby and your family with the means and methods available to them x
...um, how can I make that?...

welshmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

I home birthed my little boy 11 weeks ago. We are lucky that we have a very pro home birth mw team here in south wales. However, we also faced oppostion as our little bundle was diagnosed with a cleft lip and palate ante natally, so I can understand the situation you are in. If you want advise reagrding your rights relating to homebirthing I would strongly recommend that you visit:
http://www.homebirth.org.uk/
There is alot information to your legal rights to a homebirth and action that you can take to ensure that you get the birth that you want. From personal experience I would say that as a couple you need to be definite about the decisions you make and that must make them as a couple. As a partner it will be you that has to enforce them if the need arises.