Sun Jars???

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sun Jars???

Hi everyone,
Just wondered if anyone out there had tried Sun Jars?I've been thinking of buying one lately and whilst out shopping today saw them for £20?You can either put them in a window sill to absorb the sunlight or outside and then bring them in at night time.Anyone tried them?

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Sun Jars???

I bought one once - it never worked for me - could be total pilot error of course

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have one, it provides a nice glow but not really enough to read a book by or anything. You need to remember to switch them on in order to charge and then they come on automatically when it gets dark unless you turn it off. I got mine cheaper than that from a friend who has a shop, not sure I would pay the full price.

jampot
Living the good life
Living the good life

my sister uses on as a night light, its just a nice glow not enough to see by tho try amazon they can do them a bit cheaper than the shops
AAARRGHH its behind you!!!

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I don't think I've seen sun jars but any garden solar light would bring light inside, just need to create a space to put it (vase? jamjar?), we got some from the pound shop for use when camping, use as a nightlight sounds a great idea :iconbiggrin:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

oldjerry

Inspired by something she read,and desperate to avoid packing ,Mrs OJ made one of these about a month ago.Large Kilner jar,top off a solar powered outside light(bout £2) couple of hand fulls of the kids marbles in the jar round the light.Leave outside during the day bring inside at night.Looked great.......then never worked again,probably not an inherent design prob,more meteorological.

becks77

These guys have less expensive ones
http://www.redsave.com/show/sun-jars?ut ... 2BProducts

OR you try these instructions to make your own, the second one worked really well!
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6129392_make- ... n-jar.html
http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-made-Sun-Jar/
:)
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

I bought one last year and left it outside my laundry room to collect sunlight and let me see my way into the building at night. It gave very poor light and gave up the ghost after a few months - so not recommended by me.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I have a candelabra that takes 10 candles. Lovely to look at with all the candles lit but stuffingly expensive to keep buying the candles. A couple of years ago, my mum gave me a set of 10 cheap solar lights which fit perfectly into the holders for the candles. I have to remember to put it outside to charge up but it works a treat in the summer. In the winter I pop in the candles as they give out a fair bit of heat as well.

Zoe

battybird

I second the idea of ordinary solar lights..we use the rock style ones which charge on the windowsill or outside and bring them in at night..they give quite a bright light esp if you get the ones with at least three LEDs. Maplins do some quite cheaply. :flower:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon