Where can I pick bilberries near the Vale of Glamorgan?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
cartimandua
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Where can I pick bilberries near the Vale of Glamorgan?

I'm an ex-pat Lancastrian living in the Vale of Glamorgan in south east Wales. Bilberries abound on my native soil and I really miss going bilberrying - each year I swear I'll find out where to pick them fairly locally and this year I'm actually getting round to it.
Can anyone please tell me where I can pick bilberries in my current location? I don't mind a bit of a drive to get to them but don't want to travel more than an hour or so, really. If you do know somewhere, could you be quite specific in describing the location? Thank you.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where can I pick bilberries near the Vale of Glamorgan?

Can't help with the bilberries (I used to pick them on the Derbyshire moors, but I don't have three days spare nowadays - nor the big hat which took the three days to fill :iconbiggrin:). But the name drew my attention. Why Cartimandua? I know who she was, and all about her husband and "flag-bearer", but she always seemed a very unfortunate lady to me. Or is it simply because she was a tough Lancastrian lady?

'Fess up.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

cartimandua
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Sounds like you know more about her than I do, but yes, it was because she was a tough Northern lass and because my own forename, which was my first choice, is already taken. I came across Cartimandua, Queen of the Brigantines as I understand, in Robert Graves' "I Claudius" - Claudius viewed her with respect, I recall. I didn't know she was unfortunate and will find out more - thank you. The name is especially apposite because peole hailing from my home village in Lancs are known locally as "Briggers".

Incidentally, there must be some magnetic attraction between bilberries and headgear. My mother used to collect them in one of those plastic rainhoods ladies ladies used to carry in their handbags to protect their permed heads from a shower. But if it took you three days to fill your hat I suggest you were slacking because my cousin collected 90lbs a couple of years ago.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your cousin is obviously Clark Kent. I bow to superior picking power :iconbiggrin:

Ah - and the never-to-be-forgotten Rainmate is the thing you're looking for (cue ex-deputy-headmistress ... "Some girls are coming to school in Rainmates and nothing else". Only those ladies who had to wear berets in their youth would understand that one. But it's an abiding image :lol:

Mike

cartimandua
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My cousin is not Clark Kent, she is Whinberry Woman. Upholding Foraging Traditions On a Moorland near You.
I have asked around at work and have identified two promising bilberrying locations in the Valleys, with an obliging lookout living in one of them who will alert me to a ripening harvest. I will be off there come July/Aug with my Rainmate and whatever headgear is to hand, barring Princess Beatrice's, which would not be a suitable receptacle.
Girls at your school wore only Rainmates? Very progressive.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have a look around on here ...

http://www.roman-britain.org

One of the more realistic sites. There's not too much about her (well, is there ever?) but you'll discover that her husband wasn't simply her husband, the Brigantes were dependent upon other tribes (more usually regarded as just more Brigantes), she didn't retain Brigantian "independence" but agreed to a clientship, and, in the end, simply got dumped by everyone.

But still a fascinating lady, for all of that.

Mike

EDIT: Apologies to your cousin - very obviously NOT Clark Kent :lol:

welshpicker
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I think bilberries are called whinberries in wales and they are found on most mountains. Caerphilly mountain is full of them.

apophate
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I find clumps/patches of them under both broad leaf trees and in mixed/evergreen woodland- providing the evergreen trees are spaced out and there are other bushes / types of trees growing amongst them. They grow best under beach/ oak - in my experiences. They'll take you a whole day to pick- but it's more than worth it, and very relaxing. Try to bring food, otherwise you'll spend a whole day eating the berries, and will go home with nothing!

I've heard the berries are really good for eye problems.

A friend of mine was given a herbal remedy containing bil/whim-berries for his dogs joint problems, the poor old dog could barely walk before he took this "potion". It seemed to heal the dog remarkably fast.

I've not tried transplanting any yet, but other people have told me they're really hard to grow yourself.

Wild raspberry and whimberry pie... oooh, I can't wait - a couple of weeks to go now!