Compost used to grow potato's in

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
agreenmess
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Compost used to grow potato's in

Hey,

Im wondering if anyone has any uses for the compost i grew my potatoes in (and some which is currently still being used YUM!). Do you think it would be possible to re-use it in my carrot raised bed as filler? As im wanting to plant a load more out this weekend.

Of noteworthly value i planted my potatoes in those sacks and the compost is a mixture of mutli purpose (organic, peat free) and mushroom compost.

Thanks for any help in advance :iconbiggrin:

Nessy x

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Compost used to grow potato's in

Yes, you can use it in that way - or as a mulch, a soil conditioner, or even (with added fertiliser/manure/leaf mould/just about anything you can think of) as compost.

Just make sure you haven't left any tiny potatoes in there, otherwise they'll come up all over the place next year.

My spent compost (a misleading term if ever there was one) just gets spread around all the other beds.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

agreenmess
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks Mike,

I was really worried about what to do with it and thought i would have compost coming out of my ears :).

Nessy x

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Mike said it all.

All hail to Mike the wonderfullllllllll..
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

PossibleBoris
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I used my potato compost to pot up a few other bits and bobs, and there's been no problems so far.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

MKG wrote:-//-
Just make sure you haven't left any tiny potatoes in there, otherwise they'll come up all over the place next year.-//-

:cooldude: yup, just about to cook a kilo of spuds from a plant that just 'appeared' in the herb bed :dontknow:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6: