Companion planting and rhubarb

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
agreenmess
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Companion planting and rhubarb

Hey,

I've been looking this up to now success really.

My allotment is divided into raised beds, of which one raised bed is dedicated to rhubarb, the raised bed currently has 3 small bushes, which are in there first year.

Is it possible to plant anything around the bushes to use up the spare space? I’m willing to plant anything edible or flowers which I can take cuttings off :icon_smile:

I just go up there and see all the wasted space, and I don’t want to grow too much rhubarb as won’t know what to do with it lol as its just me and himself! and there is only so many pies you can eat lol

Thanks for any help :hugish:

Nessy x

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Companion planting and rhubarb

Those "small bushes" will be much bigger next year and even bigger the year after, so that "spare" space may not be as spare as you think. While they are small, though, you can plant anything you like around them. It's probably too late this year to do much about it, but you could still get a few crops of radish and lettuce, maybe some beetroot - that kind of thing. Same thing next year in the early part of the season, but I suspect the the rhubarb will soon take over.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

agreenmess
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Companion planting and rhubarb

Hey,

Thank you, im hoping they will get much bigger! Im expecting alot from them lol

Do you think it would be possible to grow overwintering garlic/onions around them at the moment? Or would it just be salad crops?

Many Thanks

Nessy x