Get started...

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Bartleby
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51
longitude: -0.19

Get started...

Me and some friends have the opportunity of moving onto at least 15 acres of land in Limerick. We want to become self sufficient but have little to no experience between us. Can anyone recommend some good books, sources or advice to help us get started on this mammoth task?

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Get started...

I found books by Katie Thear to be basic, helpful and informative. Some bits of John Seymour are ok too. Advice from neighbours who farm in your area is very hepful as they are familiar with local soil, climate etc.

What are you hoping to grow/raise?

Lost-in-the-Day
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

John Seymours The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency is the best one in my collection at the moment. It covers a wide range of topics and gives a good grounding, plus gave me one or two ideas I hadn't thought of. If there is something specific that sparks your interest though you will need to buy another book that covers the topic in more detail.
Stop Animal Cruelty this Christmas- http://lost-in-the-day.blogspot.com/201 ... stmas.html

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

If you'll have 15 acres then I reckon you'll be fine with John Seymour. He requires too much land for most of us though :(
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Lost-in-the-Day
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Green Aura wrote:If you'll have 15 acres then I reckon you'll be fine with John Seymour. He requires too much land for most of us though :(
John Seymours book covers small "urban garden" places, the 1 acre small holding and the 5 acre small holding. You can pick and choose which bits are suitable for how much land you have.
Stop Animal Cruelty this Christmas- http://lost-in-the-day.blogspot.com/201 ... stmas.html