weight loss group

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: weight loss group

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study_(book)

http://www.amazon.ca/China-Study-Compre ... 1932100660

Clearly there is something wrong with out typical Western diet. Evidence, just look around you. Most people are overweight, and have a hell of a time losing such, particularly with keeping any weight loss off.

If nothing else The China Study will cause some critical thinking. Well worth a read.

Unconsciously, I have been following his general theme for over 40 years with some positive results. Somehow I knew there was a problem with the much touted government guidelines regarding nutrition, and struck out on my own.
http://durgan.org/2011/ My methods of preserving and utilizing plant food.
Benefits are better appearance, and unlimited energy.

Big Al

Well I'm pleased to say I've lost 14.27 pounds this week !!Yes, you read it correct.

It's was incredibly hard the first few days but now it's so easy. Here's to week two to see what happens.

I'm getting my bloods done again on Tuesday so hopefully they will be below 7 on the blood glucose scale so as to put of diabetes a bit longer....

Good lick to all those still fighting weight problems and well done those who have lost this week. Those who haven't, do you know why you haven't ??

Take care,

BA
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Spanderholic
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

In a week?????? O.O How did you manage that? Well done!!!
I put some on >.< Silly delicious deep fried moro bars being a minute away from my house...

spider8

Sorry Big Al but I had to laugh.............'good lick' is so appropriate for this topic :wink: Good luck to all of you :grouphug:
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Big Al

Big Al wrote:
Good lick to all those still fighting weight problems and well done those who have lost this week. Those who haven't, do you know why you haven't ??

Take care,

BA
Fat finger typo's don't you just love 'em...
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

OF COURSE THERE HAS TO BE THE DISCLAIMER IN HERE TO SAVE MY AS$ AND POSSIBLY THE SITE SO DO NOT FOLLOW THIS WEIGHTLOSS ADVICE UNLESS YOU CLEAR IT WITH YOUR GP OR MEDICAL PROACTICIONER FIRST

In reply to how did I do it....... it's simple... starve !!

There was a study released by newcastle university under the guidance of Prof Roy Tayloy in the summer of this year where they were trying to prove the hypothesis that if you can lose fat in the liver / pancreas after bariatric surgery then can you do it with an ultra low calorie diet.

You really need to read the paper yourself but as I'm fighting to keep my sugar down below 7 ( in fact I might be classed as type II after bloods are done tomorrow, Tuesday) then I was interested in doing the plan.

There are shed loads of do 's and don'ts but basically AND YOU ARE NOT TO FOLLOW MY DRASTIC OPTIONS HERE WITHOUT MEDICAL ADVICE ETC. have 3 meal replacement shakes with water and 240g of veg per day ( for fibre) and that's it.

I have "cheated" a bit as I went for a walk and became ill because my sugar had dropped too low. I assumed this because after a bottle of luckozade, 2 mars bars and a topic bar I felt ok:lol:

You can have soups and stir frys etc with herbs and curry powder but no protien, dairy or root veg. I guess I miss read the currypowder bit when I went for the chicken jalfrezi on saturday night!!

Still back to the shakes today!!

Diabetes really scares me. I've seen a lot of death, killings and maimings in my military carreer and was scared into near paralasis on more than one occassion in one branch of the armed forces but diabetes scares me so much more hence the drastic actions.

One word of advice I can whole heartedly offer is to try the meal replacement route. Reading my posts here you can all see I've tried every conceivable diet plan over the last 25 years but sticking to the shake and stir fry ( with the odd cheat) is working for me at the moment.

OF COURSE THERE HAS TO BE THE DISCLAIMER IN HERE TO SAVE MY AS$ AND POSSIBLY THE SITE SO DO NOT FOLLOW THIS WEIGHTLOSS ADVICE UNLESS YOU CLEAR IT WITH YOUR GP OR MEDICAL PROACTICIONER FIRST

If site admin agree then I can post links to the proffessor Taylor and paper download links etc but I want permission first. Alternativly you need to do your own searches.

Not so big Al this week....
Secret Asparagus binger

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Just be careful Big Al.

After the birth of my gal I did the Cambridge Diet to try and get back to my pre-pregnancy size. I lived on the shakes (no soups in those days :roll: ) and felt fantastic, the weight fell off me.

Then I tried to eat "normal" food - I don't mean a full meal - I ate a couple of boiled potatoes and cr4pped water for nearly a week! It really b*ggered up my digestive system.

I'm sure these VLCDs have come a long way since then but nothing will convince me they're healthy.

Oh and I lost a stone and regained 2 when I could eventually eat again - it did nothing to re-educate my eating habits etc. :(
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff

My wife has been on the Cambridge plan for 3 months.
She has lost 4 1/2 stone. She looks great, and is very happy with herself.
However, "co-incidentally" she has developed Gall stones, and getting her to start eating again has been a nightmare, with lots of tears etc.
The Gall stones means she is definately off fat, so last week on Holiday we had McDonalds and she would go to M&S and get a salad or what ever, even had a low fat pizza from pizza express.
Being a Nurse now you would think that she would know what healthy! Anyway, she is really happy with herself, and is back to the weight she was when we met ( she was 18!) However the problem comes in stopping the diet, as I think you get used to not eating. The cambridge plan is good in that it gives you all you Vits and Mins, and wifes nails and hair etc improved whilst on it, and you can but at £8 a pot fibre to add to your 3 litres of water you drink a day.
At £60 a week, it's not cheap, but it does work, you have to manage the withdrawl slowly, and it can have other health complications which you can't directly blame it for, but common sence says it must have something to do with it. If you cheat at all though I would imagine it not worth doing.
Me I am exactly the same weight as I was in January...........
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I admire your courage in trying such a dramatic weight-loss system Al -- and i hope that once you shift some of your weight you are able to re-educate your stomach/brain to eat more sensibly to maintain the loss

As for myself -- my weight has stagnated again -- too many treats and a few larger-than-normal meals with family recently

Am still hoping to shift a few more pounds before the end of the year tho!

Graye

I'm really impressed Big Al. Make sure you keep letting us know how you are doing.

I've got nearly to the weight I want (still 2kgs to go) which means I have lost 4 stone in total. It has taken over nine months but it has also involved a re-think on fatty food. I just walk straight past the cheese aisle when I go shopping, don't buy it and don't eat it. Other than now eating breakfast there is very little change to my other eating habits so that was the real culprit all along. VERY easy for someone eating no meat to fill up with protein that way.

i feel 100% healthier, no longer have BP problems and ALMOST don't miss cheese any more. Finding enough protein is a challenge but I love the various pulses so it's not too bad.

Beng part of this group has definitely helped, so thanks to everyone so far. Still working on the 2kgs but it will be gone for Xmas I hope!
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

Flo

Funny Graye but giving up cheese bought me down from a size 20 to a size 18 some years ago. Then I stuck. But coming back to actually keeping a sheet of what I did eat methodically for about 8 weeks showed just how much other fat I managed to eat. So I have looked at the way I cook and that has helped to take me down nearly another size. There are still some rolls of fat but these will go with time - the trousers and jackets are now a size 16 just.

I think my main culprits have been the treats of the weekly cream tea and far too many bars of chocolate and chips. Hmm. None of which are essential to daily life. :mrgreen:

Spanderholic

Got weighed at the gym today, and I'm down to 82kg :D So I've lost 7kgs in the past 2 months so far. I want to lose another 10-12 and then I will be happy. Hopefully 10 will disappear by xmas!

Big Al

Only 4 pounds down this week but that had nowt to do with the chicken and chips last thursday or the curry on Saturday I guess!!

As it turns out I've got the bloods back and the count is 7.2 so I guess i'm officially diabetic now. Seeing the diabetic nurse on the 24th! Still down to 19st 10 now.

As for re education my stomach, WHAT??? I'm addicted to food, there is no re education :lol:
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

Well done Spandaholic. 10 pre christmas, 6 post christmas.... well it is party time.

Let slip a bit this last week. Still 19.10 but could have lost some if i hadn't eated 14 pickled eggs yesterday i reckon.

Did I say i was on the pickled egg diet ? My favourite song by peter gabriel has to be no self control !!
Secret Asparagus binger

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

14 pickled eggs ??????????

jeepers1