For those alone at Xmas!Or working!!!!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

For those alone at Xmas!Or working!!!!

Hi all,
Its been really nice reading threads on how people are spending their Xmas's,and I do sincerely wish everyone a good one.But....I for one am not particularly looking forward to it.Two reasons.The first is that none of my family will be here.My youngest daughter is'nt coming until the day after Boxing Day,my middle daughter lives 300 miles away and my son in Australia,where the rest of my family live.Its just going to be me and OH,and to be honest I will be glad when its over.Secondly I am working all over Xmas.Did it last year as well,so I am feeling a tad bit bitter(trying not to!!!)I've just spoke to my twin sister who lives in Australia,and the family are all argueing about who will have my Mum for Xmas?God I hope my kids don't end up like that???? :shock: There are alot of people out there,through no fault of their own spending Xmas alone so my thoughts go to those people and also to all the people that have to work.I will try and make Xmas "ok"but next Xmas?I WON'T be working,and I won't be spending it alone either! :iconbiggrin: Merry Xmas everyone!

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: For those alone at Xmas!Or working!!!!

I must admit I don't envy anyone who has to work over Xmas. As for being alone, its not all bad. I have spent the last few Xmas's alone and really enjoy the day. I light to woodburner and pick up the book that I've set aside especially to read over Xmas. This year it is 'Fat of the Land' by John Seymour. Christmas dinner is going to be steak and chips, cause its quick and easy, washed down by a bottle of plonk. I've also asked for no presents, because there is nothing i particularly want. So my Xmas is fairly stress free and self indulgent, but that's just the way I like it.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

happyhippy

Hmmm BB Now that sounds pretty good! :iconbiggrin: I might be able to go with that if I was'nt working!lol Have a good one BB xx

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cheers.

Big Al

happyhippy wrote:Hmmm BB Now that sounds pretty good! :iconbiggrin: I might be able to go with that if I was'nt working!lol Have a good one BB xx
You don't say where you will be working but as all shops are closed it might be in a pub / hotel etc. If it is I hope you get plenty of tips et al. If not then it has to be a much more important job like emergency services, power companies / industry sector etc that keeps the country afloat. If it's the latter then thank you.

As for Christmas people need to ask themselves why they are celebrating Christmas? Is it because they are christians, Is it because they " have to " as it is what's done at this time of the year or a number of other things. We are not christians as in my family don't go to church or even believe in god, I try to follow a Buddhist path but we do exchange simple gifts and have a meal together because we always have done. Over the last 3 or so years the absolute meaning of christmas has become meaningless so for this year, the first we have thought about it deeply is that we will be exchanging gifts as it's took us all year to save up. Next year will probably see us exchange gifts more regular over the year than at one particular time.

Balfy Blokes idea seems the best so far but I'd have a hot curry and a bottle of fanta.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fanta? Yeah, right, Al :lol:

In any case - lovely post you made. Happy Christmas, mate.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

happyhippy

Thanks Big Al!! And no I don't work in a pub lol I work in a Mental Health Unit! :iconbiggrin: I know where you're coming from with the meaning of Xmas.I'm not christian and I stopped believing in Santa a long long time ago! :iconbiggrin: I think Xmas to me is spending precious time with family,and I guess thats why I'm not too happy about working all over Xmas.I'm also into buddhism,so will spend some time before I head for work tomorrow in meditation lol xxx

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Another person here that is interested in Buddism which I believe sits very well with an Ish philosophy.
Big Al, I had curry last year but am not a big fan of Fanta or any other Coca Cola brands.

Millymollymandy

The best Christmasses are the ones with just OH and me. I didn't realise that was being 'alone'. Poor us. :lol: :cheers: :santa:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Minnesota
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mostly I have been alone on this holiday.
I did spend a few hours with my Daughter's family yesterday, that was special.
But mostly, I am home alone with my cats and a hot fire in the woodstove and
some good radio...if not live radio, then a few reruns of "the late show"
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/audio-on- ... -midnight/#
Mischke is the most entertaining radio host I've ever heard.
I know that is subjective, but truely, it isn't the normal crud on US radio.

I love the change of seasons...the dark of winter is tolerable and actually enjoyable
when you know that spring is coming. The winter is a time of rest, for us and the ground.
The Herb plants in my kitchen are hanging on for dear life also waiting for spring,
to breathe in the fresh air of outside...of course it doesn't help them much when I keep
plucking there leafs to season my food :)