Weight loss group 2012

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Weight loss group 2012

As sugested here is a new post for the 2012 weight loss campaign.
PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER BELOW. BY MAKING A POST IN THIS TOPIC IT IS AGREED THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD IT.
BEFORE EMBARKING ON ANY FITNESS OR WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAMME MAKE SURE YOU CONSULT QUALIFIED PROFFESIONALS IN THE RELEVENT DEPARTMENT. YOUR HEALTH CARE PROFFESSIONAL IS THE ONEWHO IS QUALIFIED TO ASSIST YOU.

ANY TIPS, IDEAS OR NOTES MENTIONED HERE BY MYSELF ARE NOT FROM A SCIENTIFIC OR QUALIFIED BACKGROUND.

YOU SHOULD SATISFY YOURSELF THAT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HARM YOURSELF IN ANY WAY. IF IN DOUBT SEEK PROFFESIONAL AND MEDICAL ADVICE. :salute:

BIG AL.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

Re: Weight loss group 2012

start date: 01.01.2012

Big Al 133.3 kg / 293.3 pounds /goal weight 85kg

Mrs Big Al 104.2 Kg / 229.3 pounds / goal weight 68 kg.

Demi 60kg Start weight:134lbs / 60kg goal weight:120lbs / 55kg
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Big Al 133.3 kg / 293.3 pounds /goal weight 85kg

Mrs Big Al 104.2 Kg / 229.3 pounds / goal weight 68 kg.

Demi 60kg Start weight:134lbs / 60kg goal weight:120lbs / 55kg

Marmalady start weight 11 st 8 lb (162 lb or 73.6 kg) Ideal goal weight under 10st (140 lb or 63.6 kg)

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I am still somewhat in shock & horrified at just how much weight i have put on over the Christmas period :(

It has meant that my net weight loss over 2011, instead of being a disappointing 10 lb is now a very dismal 4 lb!!!

As for setting goals for this year -- do i repeat last year's goal of getting under 11 stone? or make it a tougher 10 1/2 stone ? Or declare my ultimate goal of getting under 10 stone? After my experience in 2011, this is extremely unlikely to happen in just one year -- so am i better having smaller, more easily managed targets?

Off to make some soup for lunch ( and to try to ignore all the christmas goodies that are still to be eaten up!)

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

i think everone puts on a few pounds over christmas, its normal so dont beat yourself up :santa:

try makin several smaller mini goals, like aim to loose 3lbs every month for example. and be happy every time you acchive it.
instead of thinking iv got 30lbs to loose, which seems like such a huge amount it can be difficult to imagine being able to do it.

loosing 1lbs a week is easy.
try to cut out sweet things as much as possible. thats allways my downfall, i like deserts :iconbiggrin: but they dont like me :(

are we all weighing in on the same day every week, or just whenever we want?
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

oh yes, i did expect to put on some weight over christmas -- but am shocked at just how much -- and disappointed that it wiped out half my weight loss from last year :(

I would love to achieve an average loss of 1 lb per week -- will have to try harder this year!

Big Al

I have sugessted that we weigh in every Sunday as the 1st of Jan is on a Sunday. The idea behind that is that we focus on the day of weigh in and thus focus all week as opposed to weigh in when we want because if we weigh in when we want we are more likely to put weight on but by not weighing in each week we will feel it is ok to "forget" the weight that we will possibly or probably have put on. For instance if wer are going to a big party and pig out and put on 6 pounds if we don't weigh in we have another week to get it off before we HAVE TO weigh in again. Where as if we know we have to weigh in every week then at the party we will be concious of the fact that Sunday is coming and as such we will probably eat less at the party but still enjoy ourselves.

It's like gonig to a weigh in club every week I guess.

Don't forget that this is a voluntary group and no one can demand anything or lay down rules etc but that's the way I think we should do it. Obviously if you can only weigh in using scales at shops then you weigh in when you are in the shop but then declare that weight on the sunday.
It's all down to honesty really.

As for weight put on over Christmas...... 21 pounds !! I told you the butter had arrived....

Losing 1 pound a week will not seem much but it is the same as 2 blocks of lard or butter at the supermarket every week and 52 pounds is 3 stone 10 pounds. The big problem with wieght loss is not keeping it off. If you remember the first week I did the T2 reversal diet I lost about 16 pounds but put some back on through over eating then Christmas came again.

1 pound a week is achievable and you are more likely to keep it off long term.

The Chrismas goodies need eating but not in the same day or week. If anyone wants to list their stash of christmas goodies that need eating I will try to put together meals that are not too bad.

Each week I will try to put up a focus of the week to keep things interesting but the real focus is on what we put in our gobs.

BA
Last edited by Big Al on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

The goal to focus on this week is walking

Do not do anything that is going to hurt you. If like me 50m is all you can do then that's fine. if you are a marathon runner do a bit more.

Things to look out for are Distance. You can plot a route on http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/ or any of the other route planners. I've not used this one but it's ad free and 100% British.
If you can do a 1 mile route then time it from start to finish. Try to aim for 20 minutes to complete this route. Do this 3 times a week, more if you can. If you can go faster or further then fine but Base it on these principles.

BA
Secret Asparagus binger

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I did join the 2011 club but dropped out.. but had a right kick up the backside a few months ago after having a few pains on the side of the chest (thought I was bleeding trying to kill myself :shock: ) I know what the quack told me 2 years ago was to lay off the sugar, spuds and bread (there is a running theme there... and everything is white!)

Anyway.. finally got rid of the sugar in December and all the "meat" content in the freezer was used/given away and I started my new "diet" properly on the pagan new year (22nd Dec).. why did I do this.. well.. I am 30 next July and that milestone as been set where I've been overweight for 15years.

Now its time to change - I used to be a 42" Jeans user last year and its been slowly dropping but the weight doesn't say that though. Now, I am a 36" Jean wear and at current weight of 17s 3lbs. I have to be careful as Doctor has said I do have alot of upper body mass (ie stocky build in the chest and shoulders)

My Target is 14st (196lbs) by 21st June 2012 when I go my hols to stonehenge for the mid summer gathering at the stones.

Weight around around the 15th Dec was 246lbs (17st 8lbs) and my weigh in on New years day was 241.2lbs (17s 3lbs) - I am keeping everything on a excel type chart to watch whats going on (also a andriod mobile app "Noom" does the same as well - so hope this will keep me focus and remind me everyday lol

As I have ditched Sugar/Flour and Meat - my main diet focus is going to be a Veggie Diet with use of Milk and eggs to keep up my Protein levels (and use Quorn if I need to)

So here we go - 45lbs to lose in 26 weeks... bring it on!

Edit:

I need to add.. my current workout to be honest is the unloading and reloading of the trailer where I work. I do 4 shifts a week and 1 hour of each shift is phyiscal work in shifting heavy trollies/cages on/off the truck. Worked it out to be 1000feet of moment per trailer (or 0.2miles! :? )

I wonder if I should be upping the work out a bit more ;) - considering I have the allotment as well and digging season is coming back soon.

And is thinking about getting his bike and the trailer back out again for shopping trips to the local tossco's or morrisons... T***o is 4 mile round trip and morrisons is about a 6mile round trip interesting as it states it should take about 20min to do the morrisons trip (when I do it the car on way home from visiting it usally takes 10min!)... :study:

Big Al

Welcome aboard eco Mick. Are you going to declare your weight on the list or do you want me to do it.

You can always up the effort assuming you do it in accordance with medical advice et al. If you use the delivery truck can you find a space in it for your bike? If so when you take your enforced stops get the bike out for 20 minutes. If not then go for a fast walk in the same time. If you can walk a mile in 20 minutes you can burn up a lot of calories. For 1 pound of fat to be burned up you need to burn 3500 calories or 500 calories per day. It's not possible for me to say how many cals you will lose but you will be able to find that out by putting yopur stats into one of the many online weight progs.

Congrats on the jean size drop. Soon you will get to buy out of River island!! Weight loss doesn't always tell the whole story. I've just bought some of the salter multi weight scales for £27 [cheaper ones available] which measure weight, fat, bmi, and water content. This type of scales give a better idea of non weight loss weeks as you might lose fat content but not weight because you have more muscle build up. Muscle weighs heavier so losing a pound of fat will reduce the size of your waist etc but not your weight.

Anything white is processed so brown flour, pasta, bread etc is better for you but a mix of both is ok.

Good luck with the veggie food intake. If you have the money join the veggie soc as they have a lot of help available and recipes.

Keep up the good work peeps, we will suceed this year.

BA
Secret Asparagus binger

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

hello eco mick, welcome to the 2012 weight loss group!

new year, fresh start for all of us!

i have to be quick the baby's crying.
just want say iv not had a good day. back on the nutella again, no good!
need to nip this in the bud before it gets rediculus!
ok, tomorrow i will try to resist!

good luck everyone!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Aye..

You know what caught my eye on your post Al was using the time on enforced break . I never thought of that you know. Trouble with me as I am a night worker and taking walks in undersirable places in the early hours (in the towns where the big shop is) doesn't appeal. But on that merit who to know until you try..

Anyhow I was up on the Tyne in N.Sheilds (not going to name the shop to protect myself etc) and thought - yeah - did the delivery and had 15min of my 45 min break eating my med roasted veg's and downed the Tea. and went for a walk!

And boy did I like the little surprises around the corners :D (camera would really be nice here as there is some lovelly things to take photos off) Nice one alone the river/ up and down what seemed like 300 steps to the river front on the tyne gorge. My calfs.. were "used" :shock: nice pace, 15min out and 15 min back. Stopping to read nature trail boards etc.

I would love to take a bike, but we get a different truck everyday and so that wouldn't work (nor would they allow me to put one in the back either). Still a good walk will do the trick

Got one of those fancy scales last Summer from Amazon when I had a few vouchers to use.. to be honest - never used the BMI and Fat % functions on it.. Will :study: the manual tonight and have a go tomorrow after the rest.

bonniethomas06

Hello all,

Sorry, I was a bit rubbish last year, joined and then sort of dropped out. But I carried on with the weight loss efforts - April 2011 was 12st12, currently 11st 7 (depending on what time of the day I weigh myself). It went up and down and up again, but net effort was -19lbs. This is all due to running I recon, and the stress of having to squeeze into a bridesmaids dress which was a size too small, in September. Nothing like skintight sateen to focus the mind!

I am running the Bath half marathon on March 11th, so determined to get down under 11 in January and then hopefully under 10st 7 in Feb so that I am light enough to do a respectable speed. Hopefully will do it in under 1hr 48, which was my time back in 2008, when I was but a skinnifer at 10st 2lbs.

My only hope here is to keep running - am doing an hour long work out every other day, one of these being a long road run at the weekend. Currently doing 9.4 miles - need to get this up to around 14 miles by the end of Feb so that I am ready to do the 13miler on race day.

Good luck everyone, see you for weigh in on Sunday!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Have been a naughty boy this week with a pizza or 2 this is purely the fact I've been very busy on the camper - I did notice how cr*p I felt after having that pizza and something other bready meal on the same day. So won't be doing it again.

My midweek weight hit 240.2lbs but thats gone back to 241 lbs due to this relapse.. so equal this week.

Big Al

Well done Bonnie for rejoining the ish loss. I am not even going to presume I know enough to offer advice on your running. Msybe you could give the group a few tips after your race which will hopefully see the rest of us walking faster then running a bit. The reason I say after the race is to give you time for your race and also time for us to get fitter.

Eco mick, So you felt crap after the first pizza but still eat the second then more bread ??

At least you know how you felt and attributed it to the stodgy, heavy, weight puttling on, diabetic inducing white bread. If you are working on the camper in future or if anyone else is doing something that takes them away from prepping a propper meal can I sugesst you prepare the meal before you start or maybe do a slow cook stew for tea.
If you have a slow cooker it is realtivly easy but if not then check your oven instruction book and see about putting a pan of stew in the oven at around 130 - 150 Deg C for 4 - 5 hours. That way you will not be tempted after a hard day in the cold to " oh I can't be bothered to cook, I'll get a pizza" [my failing in this situation is a currie from the balti in murry street , Hartlepool...]

How is the enforced break walking doing Mick? getting any faster / further walked??

Well I'm going to gloat now because I lost 3.3 pounds to beat mrs BA as she lost 1.54 pounds.... Still good but not as good as me.... :salute:

BA
Last edited by Big Al on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Asparagus binger