Good Morning, World!

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Good Morning, World!

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html

http://flaturl.com/hF -
There are currently 1.6 billion overweight adults in the world, according to the World Health Organization. That number is projected to grow by 40% over the next 10 years. The following list reflects the percentage of overweight adults aged 15 and over. These are individuals who have individual body mass indexes, which measures weight relative to height, greater than or equal to 25. Obese is defined as having a BMI greater than or equal to 30.

People refuse to talk about the obesity epidemic. It just may be the cause of many of our debilitating sicknesses. I saw the slow fattening up of the USA, while travelling throughout NA for over thirty years. Now the same affect is apparent in Canada, and indeed most advanced Western countries.

I tend to focus on how people have encompassed the commercial prepared food industry. Headline today in a national paper is the amount of salt people are consuming in Supermarket food, and even go so far as to advocate government action.

People tend to point a finger at the junk food establishments, but they are only the tip of the iceberg. Supermarkets are full of junk food.

bonniethomas06

Re: Good Morning, World!

I agree Durgan, and supermarkets also encourage shoppers to buy the food which is the most profitable, rather than the most nutritious.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

It's shocking that doughnuts are cheaper than apples at the supermarkets.

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

I was shocked, though, to hear that some health authority will not now be offering routine surgery to people unless they lose weight. I have been fat all my life and have struggled with it and been very very unhappy. If I could have lost weight, believe me, I would. I am not lazy or stupid and I do not lack willpower or self-discipline and I do care about my health. ( I gave up smoking on my first try and have never relapsed). While I completely agree with all the points made about supermarkets, processed foods, junk foods and a culture which makes it difficult and expensive to choose healthy foods, I also think that some people have a complicated relationship with food that neither threats/discrimination/shaming nor the availability of healthy food can completely unravel.

Durgan

yvette wrote:I was shocked, though, to hear that some health authority will not now be offering routine surgery to people unless they lose weight. I have been fat all my life and have struggled with it and been very very unhappy. If I could have lost weight, believe me, I would. I am not lazy or stupid and I do not lack willpower or self-discipline and I do care about my health. ( I gave up smoking on my first try and have never relapsed). While I completely agree with all the points made about supermarkets, processed foods, junk foods and a culture which makes it difficult and expensive to choose healthy foods, I also think that some people have a complicated relationship with food that neither threats/discrimination/shaming nor the availability of healthy food can completely unravel.
Study this thread if you haven't seen it. http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 52&t=25207

Clearly there are exceptions, and certainly those who have issues other than simply too much food have to be considered. Nobody like to be too heavy for sure.

I have five children, and three are overweight, which is simply attributable to ingesting too much food. I periodically send them a photo around the time when they left home, and suggest that there were no heavy kids when we looked after them.

The two who have appropriate weight are, one due to effort, and the other lives in Japan, where there are few heavy people, due to diet and walking often. The effort kid was motivated by me to some degree. He told me that he had high blood pressure, and what to do? I told him to lose 60 pounds. His reply was nobody loses 60 pounds. My reply was then die. He now weighs 180 and is amazed with the improvement, and told me his BP is 120/80, which is possible but hard to believe.