Llamas and alpacas

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Llamas and alpacas

Has anyone got any experience of keeping these animals? Everything seems positive about them. Are there any problems? Would traditional farmers be wary of someone keeping them even though they have a good reputation for protecting other anumals from foxes and dogs. :study:
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

little blue duck
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Llamas and alpacas

I dont keep them but have friends that do..

... if you've got plenty of space, good fencing and good grazing, then it should be fine.
Be aware that they can carry tb and there is currently no compulsory testing

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

little blue duck wrote:I dont keep them but have friends that do..

... if you've got plenty of space, good fencing and good grazing, then it should be fine.
Be aware that they can carry tb and there is currently no compulsory testing
That;s exactly the sort of thing I was worried about and not a mention ofv this in the sites I had read so far! Thanks a lot !
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I would not wish to be unhelpful. But I know of friends of friends who had a go at this as a business and I've not yet seen one succeed. For whatever reason they all stop. A bit like the Ostriches. There are successful business but start up's just don't seem to thrive.
On an animal note alpacas are renowned to be very nervous almost deer like in their timidity so perhaps a lot of time spend taming them is an issue because they do need to be handled for foot care vets and shearing.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks , that was all very helpful indeed. I think I will stick to chickens and bees. I gree that the Llama/Alpaca thing has lot's off similarities to the Ostrich thing.

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

Have you considerd goats, freindly, easy to keep, milk is easy to make into cheese (the Greeks call it feta) see us making it here it's dead easy http://inbulgaria.co.uk/ and apparently the milk is also in demand for babies that can not take cows milk, makes yummy yogart too, keeps the confounded weeds down and protects the chickens from foxes and pole cats (very popular here). They are cheap too :iconbiggrin:
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

My goats haven't protected my hens and ducks from the fox I'm afraid. Neither did they manage to protect their own kid who had his stomach ripped out by something one night when he was six months old. Goats are lovely though but uncastrated males are very, very, very stinky. Once castrated they are fine after a week or so, but, of course you need entire males for breeding and therefore for milk production. I wouldn't be without mine especially now Basil has had the chop.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

Who is Basil?

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

Were they all in the same shed?
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

Spinpup
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 53.5689
longitude: -2.8851

I'm a huge camelid fan but don't have room for them myself. I've done llama treks and they are fabulous.

Llamas are big (up to 400lbs!) but generally calm, easy to handle and mostly good around children. Alpacas are nervy and not easy to handle unless you have bred them yourself.

Llamas aren't difficult to shear if they are used to being handled but I'm told that alpacas are problematical. The best advice I heard was to buy/make a spit mask for them - you don't want to smell that stuff as it drips down your face!

My son has a friend in Peru who is a llama breeder and his tales make me want to have a boat-load shipped over!

They are supposed to be excellent at looking after hens - breeders sell castrated males specifically for that job. And you could sell their fleeces to hand-spinners, they are fabulous as llamas have a double-fleece.

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life

That's inteesting thanks. You're in a nice spot for self sufficiency! Ormskirk has lots of nice flat land doesn't it? I know that because my other cottage (the one I am selling) is in Wirral, England, not that far from you. I remember spending a night in Ormskirk in a b&b pub. Can't recall it's name but one I was in was called The Buck ith Vine or something like that.

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

This has been a very useful thread, I have long been considering getting alpacas mostly due to their supposed ability to protect poultry and the such from foxes and ther mauraders, I had not realised they were nervy, am i then to understand that llamas are less nervy? I am slightly concerned about their size though :iconbiggrin:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.