I have a home edding question

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I have a home edding question

we're worried about one thing: the LEA. I know, it's a big thing to worry about lol. but the only information I can glean from a home edding forum is "you don't legally have to give them anything so don't" and "argue, know your rights" etc. But we both want to be compliant and not rock the boat *too much*.

so, if you choose to have a yearly discussion about your child's work, how do they decide what's "good enough"? is it just being able to read, write and do maths? how do we prove we're providing an education to people who don't seem to understand that education isn't about sitting at a desk?

I'm posting here 'cos I don't want to keep relying on Rosendula, she's lovely and has been utterly amazing, and has probably had more than enough of my prattling and worrying this week, so let's let someone else take the baton hahahahaha!!! (although is Rosie wants to join in, she can feel free ;) )

I have read available materials on the education : otherwise site, and they've been helpful but they've just not cleared this fear up.

Thanks!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

wigan pixie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: I have a home edding question

I have to say that visits from the LEA are quite a wasps nest where home educators are concerned. I personally now refuse to have visits. At the beginning I, like you, wanted to keep things sweet with the LA (I had a lot going on in my life at the time and didn't need another battle) and so agreed to a visit, what a big mistake that was. I won't go into details as it's now in the past and I've moved on but the more compliant I was, the more the LA wanted and the more they acted outside of their remit. They attempted to bully and intimidate me, which escalated into outright threats. In the end I decided I'd had enough and rather than battle with the monkeys, I went straight to the organ grinder. A couple of days later it was all sorted out and I've been left alone ever since.

If you are on facebook there are a few home education groups on there, where there are a lot of people who know the law and can advise you if necessary (just because you're being compliant, doesn't mean you won't need advice). There will almost certainly be someone who has dealings with your local LEA and can tell you of their experience. A word of warning however, the debates can get very heated regarding this issue between the people who have visits and the ones that don't. It does make interesting reading though and it's worth keeping your eye on the current legal situation, just in case another badman/balls fiasco ever pops up again.
Spreading the knitting love, one stitch at a time :)

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

mrsflibble

thanks wigan pixie, basically my experience of the home edding forums is exactly that, it's a total divide. and I don't feel like I want to arguments on them!

I wont allow home visits, but I'll be happy to meet a rep at their own office for instance. but by refusing home visits am I labeling myself as trouble?

No teacher would be expected to allow an education rep into their home to scrutinize their work with no notice, so why should I?! even my landlord has to give written notice to enter my home; the house he owns!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very

mrsflibble

also, the forum I have joined seems full of very up-themselves people, which I don't like! they also seem averse to newbs with questions.
I am thinking of sticking to the local yahoo group (southend home educators) which I have applied to join, and the education otherwise site.

the more I read on the home ed forum the more I dislike it lol. it's like they're trying to undermine my confidence. I am all for constructive criticism and truthful experiences, but not the kind of "here be monsters" attitude I'm getting with regards to the LEA lol.

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

i agree with your attitude mrsflibble.

I feel the same. I don't want to cause any un-needed aggravation but the idea of home educating is that I can get on with doing what I believe is best for my child, not pander to others last minute requests and prove what I'm doing to people who don't know me.

I believe the 'rule' - and I don't know the exact wording - is that the child is being taught to fulfil a worthwhile role in the society in which they live.

For example if they lived in a tribe in the jungle, reading and writing may not be on the syllabus, hunting and foraging probably would be.

There are so many websites to help with revision that give guidelines for each year that if you're concerned you can use them to keep a check on each subject matter.

I'm a home tutor and I usually find there is so much repeating done over the years because when you're in a class of 30 you can't learn as much and don't get the same quality of education as when you're in a class of 1, 2 or 3 or however many siblings you have.

Anyway, my point here is that the guidelines are similar across the years so you can't go very wrong. Plus your child will show you what they're ready for - if you choose to go down the traditional academic subjects route

Hope that helps, sorry if not!

wigan pixie

mrsflibble wrote:also, the forum I have joined seems full of very up-themselves people, which I don't like! they also seem averse to newbs with questions.
I know exactly what you mean, I certainly cherry pick who I associate with both on forums and with local home educators. I like a quiet life, so keep away from anyone with a superior, know it all attitude.

As for being thought of as a troublemaker if you refuse a visit, I doubt that will happen. They may try to push for a home visit and to see examples of work, but as long as you make sure they know that you know where you stand in law, there isn't a lot they can do. When you agree to a meeting, make sure you put it in writing to them and say something along the lines of 'despite it not being a legal requirement, I will agree to meet with your representative to discuss the educational provision I am providing for my child.' That way you can always refuse future meetings if you decide to and if they push for a home visit, ask them why because their remit is to check that you are providing an education suitable to your child's age and aptitude, not whether the child is taking up that education.

If you feel backed into a corner, don't agree to anything you don't want to. Tell them that you will think it over and write to them when you have made your decision. It's always better to keep everything in writing as, sadly, one or two LAs have been known to tell lies - mine being one of them.

I'm sure that an experienced local home educator would be happy to go along with you, if you ask on your local list. That way they can point out any 'mistakes' that the LA representative may make.

(I'm sure I posted something along these lines earlier today, but I can't see it now. Apologies if it suddenly appears and you have to read my waffle twice) :iconbiggrin:
Spreading the knitting love, one stitch at a time :)

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

mrsflibble

thanks guys. feeling much better about it this morning.