Razor Clams...hard to find?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
jungle_jim01
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 54
longitude: 0.9

Razor Clams...hard to find?

With a low spring tide i decided to head to my local sandy beach on the hunt for some razor clams. I'm sure i've spotted holes in the past but today despite walking the best part of 1 km i couldn't find a single hole. A fair few washed up shells so think i'm looking in the right area. Are there any additional factors i need to take into account?

Thanks for any help, tips etc.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Razor Clams...hard to find?

Well, as you've mentioned the spring tide, you obviously know where they SHOULD be. And I'll bet there are quite a few beyond the low-water mark. But intertidal razors are becoming increasingly hard to find (mainly because people are catching them) and their numbers have been significantly reduced. It's the normal overuse thing.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Re: Razor Clams...hard to find?

Mmm something we should be aware of.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.