Rhubarb

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Mellyb
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Rhubarb

Wondering if anyone can help with this query just picked some of my rhubarb and it had sugar like hard crystals on the stalks...a friend on the allotments gave me some of his but that was the same .....I'm thinking it might juts be the natural sugars....any ideas

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Rhubarb

Was it near the top of the stalks?

I picked a load the other day and some of mine was like that, I think it's just a case of it getting old.

My Nan always said not to pick any after the end of June.

I cooked mine up, on it's own and it is lovely, and at only 58 cals per 150 g's a fat mans friend, plus with 60% more fibre per bowl than all bran a constipationalist's dream!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Mellyb
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Not just near the top ...I asked on FB and a few have told me it might be the oxlaic crystals from the leaves (the poison) so I was a bit concerned.

boboff

I am sorry I can't help then, I googled it and got nothing.

It has to be your choice.

I googled Oxlaic acid as well, boy it's used to bleach wood!

I can say I have eaten lots with it on with no ill effects, but it was just on the ends of som............................ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

Mellyb
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

thanks though ....have decided not to eat it just incase ....was surprised that its such a hard thing to look up on the internet.....

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Probably just sugar from the sap leaking through wounds in old stems, with the wind we've had the stems will have taken a bit of damage.

Tradition with us is not to pick after the solstice - although usually modified to the weekend after the solstice. But if we get a bit of rain to plump up fresh shoots I'll try and get another picking yet.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Mellyb
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

thanks for the advice to be honest it was coming to the end of the harvest anyway.....hopefully there will be more goodies to pick soon

boboff

Reckon my gooseberries with be ready next, they are looking a bit small but lots of them and pinking up nicely!

Then the blackcurrants.......signs look good.

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

From the RHS website:
"Split stems, sometimes exuding sticky sap: This is sometimes caused by late frosts but is often an indication of erratic growth due to seasonal conditions. Cool or dry periods followed by moist or mild weather means the hard outer growth splits when the new, rapid growth occurs. Mulching and feeding may help to avoid the worst damage."

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Can rhubarb be grown near rhododendrons?

daz101
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Next to nothing can be grown near rhodies, altho probably not as toxic to other flora as people might think but....
There is some evidence for allelopathic interactions (the production of adverse effects on other species) between Rhododendron and other plants. This may include the inhibition of germination, or of establishment of the seedlings of competing species. Direct poisoning is a possibility. As noted above, the tissues of Rhododendron contain significant quantities of phenols and other potentially toxic chemicals. There is also evidence for the prevention of mycorrhizal development in roots of the seedlings of competing plant species. Research and debate in this field is on-going.

The arrested root development is gaining some notice. So long as its not dry shade tho or completely encircled I'd give it a go...