When did you take your festive decorations down?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
sleepyowl
A selfsufficientish Regular

When did you take your festive decorations down?

Now I got criticised by some others for not putting up my decorations as early as others did, only to point out that I am Pagan so decorate my house on the Winter Solstice, which is traditionally early for festive decorations, as it was meant the house is meant to be decorated Christmas Eve & then the decorations get taken down on the 6th the day after Twelfth Night, they looked at me as if I was strange, many of them taking them down the day after Boxing Day or New Years Day to which I've pointed out is before Christmas ends. So would like to take a straw poll do you decorate early & take down before Christmas finishes on the 5th, do you put them up early & leave them up till the 6th, do you put them up on the Solstice/Christmas Eve (depending on faith) & take them down early, put them up at the Solstice/Christmas Eve & leave them out till the 6th or do you just not bother?
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

gregorach

Re: When did you take your festive decorations down?

I just don't bother myself... But I would say that putting them up much more than a week before Christmas seems too early to me, and yeah, they should probably stay up until twelfth night. This business of putting them up at the start of December just seems weird. I certainly got the impression this year that practically everybody was putting them up much earlier than usual.
Cheers

Dunc

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi
We put ours up about a week before Xmas and they came down 2nd January. We are not relegious but any excuse to eat cake is good for me! I told my little ones it was a celebration to cheer us up in the cold dark winter days and to celebrate the days getting longer.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Today is nollaig nam nBam in Ireland which means womens little christmas. All the womenfolk take the whole day off from all their chores and have great craic together (I have just returned from a great day at our womens centre) and leave the menfolk at home to cope, most people I know here are taking down their decorations tomorrow as they consider this the correct time to do it

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I always understood that decorations should be taken down on 12th night, although in our house there's always been a argument as to when 12th night actually is. I say it's January the 6th and OH maintains it's the 5th, not that it matters as they all came down yesterday.

What there ought to be is a hard and fast rule about when companies can start advertising Christmas goods.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

sleepyowl

Twelfth Night is the 5th but is considered unlucky to take them down after the 6th
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

StripyPixieSocks

We didn't put any up this year for several reasons but mostly because they'd be pulled down faster that we can put them up by our 4 little terrors (Ferrets) :icon_smile:

daz101
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Yup...my birthday (6th)..the night the 3 wise men visited....not my house of course!

happyhippy

I usually put ours up about a week before Xmas,and if no kids are staying overnight,take them down Boxing Day! :tongue: :lol: