5 or 9 acres?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Kiwi Fluff
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Facebook Name: Cat Tandy

5 or 9 acres?

How do I choose? I may have the opportunity to purchase one of two plots. Was originally set on 9 acres but now not sure having visited both.

9 acre pros: bigger (!), not much more expensive (think 15-20% more) south east facing

Cons: quiet public footpath running more or less directly through the centre (public liability insurance issues? Dogs? Privacy? Etc), 2 long edges directly neighbouring farmhouse next door with no current screening, slight dip to one edge (definite frost pocket), slightly more exposed to wind.

5 acre pros: mature woodland & hedgerow bordering acting as windbreak, flat/slightly higher than adjoining fields, south facing, no public access.

Cons: much smaller

Any advice or other things to think of? I think we can achieve what we want to on 5 acres with some sacrifices, but might it be better to go larger and pan things out (as in planting windbreaks and working around the downpoints?) just in case we need more space? I'm finding it hard to work out!
Cat

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: 5 or 9 acres?

Having lived on a farm with footpaths here and there across it - dogs and people were an ongoing problem. If the 9 acres has been out of use for some time, then bad habits will have become ingrained. Providing screening for the farmhouse will be an interesting discussion as the farmhouse may not want the screening or like what you suggest.

ina

I agree with Flo. 5 acres are quite a lot to be getting on with, anyway.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It depends what you want it for and how you intend to manage it. You can probably produce as much on the better 5 acres as you can on the 9. Is there any chance neighbouring land might become available in the future?

Size isn't everything! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Kiwi Fluff
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Facebook Name: Cat Tandy

Thank you, all good food for thought! Actually, one of the PP conditions on the 9 acres was to plant a visual barrier so that'd definitely be ok. But the main concern is the footpath. I'm going to go view them both again today.

The land would be used for running our business (3-3.5 acres) and the rest for growing for ourselves. So 5 would be a bit of a squeeze, but it "felt" better if you know what I mean?

Definitely no chance of buying additional land on either, so whatever we went for would be "it". I do think you're right with the quality over quantity though.
Cat