I seem to be back

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I seem to be back

It seems I have been able to log back in on here now after a good while away, so hopefully, I will get notifcations again in my email again. I need to be back on a sensible forum, with people who know what they are on about, so hopefully I can keep coming in now, be good to have some sensible gardening chats. :sunny:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I seem to be back

I just popped in as I got notified of a new post. This maybe the first time I've logged in this year!

Nothing much to report, it's a fairly terrible year as far as I'm concerned. Lack of rain, high humidity and then blistering temperatures are all taking their toll.

One good thing to report that will be of interest to you Digger. I finally succumbed to trying your no dig method. I had a few seed Charlotte potatoes left over and so I followed (I think it was your Facebook post) and laid down cardboard on some closely mowed grass, followed by the grass mowings, followed by the seed potatoes and then covered with spent compost that had spent a few months on the chicken house floor.
The result amazed me as I am getting at least twice the crop per plant, and this was from more or less sub-standard reject seed.
So I'm quite willing for you to say "I told you so" :iconbiggrin:
Mind you, why did you choose Digger for your user name instead of No-digger?
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

It has been a shocking year, long cold spring again, danger of frost until 31st May, it was touch and go, and just recently after very hot days, cold evenings with night temperatures of 7-10 c in the tunnels., it's nuts.

Well, I think that's brilliant that I have finally won you over with the no dig spuds, it almost seems criminal really, that it is so easy and you get great crops and you find something really useful to use the grass clippings on.

Do you remember a thing called Diggers and Dreamers, I sort of fancied myself as a Digger rather than a Dreamer, even though I am a no digger, on Twitter, I am called Nodiggerdee, so I am a bit of a contradiction really on here.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Why did I not get notice. Welcome back DND.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Because you've moved and 'Ish didn't know where to find you :tongue:
Tony

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Regarding my potatoes, I did make one mistake though. The cardboard was placed edge to edge and of course docks found their way through the cracks. Next time I will make a point of overlapping them.
Tony

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Odsox wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:52 pm Regarding my potatoes, I did make one mistake though. The cardboard was placed edge to edge and of course docks found their way through the cracks. Next time I will make a point of overlapping them.
You can put down quite a thick covering of cardboard, it's a great way of getting rid of boxes. Eventually, you find the docks will come up through the mulches, but the tap root will be nearer the surface and you can pull the whole plant out.

I am getting notifications too, hi Green Aura. But I guess us three also see each other on da faishbook

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

This is strange - I hadn't got any notices for ages, and now all of a sudden - I had tried to log on at some point, but for whatever reason couldn't... So here I am. Hopefully a bit more often. :)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

ina wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:35 am This is strange - I hadn't got any notices for ages, and now all of a sudden - I had tried to log on at some point, but for whatever reason couldn't... So here I am. Hopefully a bit more often. :)
I couldn't get in for ages, glad I am finally in here

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry to hijack your post Lyn, but I thought you would like a follow up of my "No Dig" potatoes.

I dug (raked about with my hands) the rest of my Charlotte potatoes today and am still impressed.
Charlotte.jpg
Charlotte.jpg (340.39 KiB) Viewed 70430 times
This is about 3/4 of the entire crop. The seed was about 15 reject/left over small seeds from my earlier sowing, they would have normally been cooked up for the chicken.

There were some that had greened by pushing out of the loose soil and they have been saved for next year's seed.
Seed.jpg
Seed.jpg (132.37 KiB) Viewed 70430 times
All except this little chap who will be planted up in a large pot for maybe Christmas time new potatoes
Chat.jpg
Chat.jpg (224.71 KiB) Viewed 70430 times
So the result is 20.5 Kg dug today plus whatever I dug earlier for new potatoes for dinners.
All on a 3m x 1m patch of grass.

I am going to shovel up the compost and spread it in the chicken house again and maybe use it again the year after next.
Anyway thanks for keeping on about "no-dig" and eventually encouraging me to give it a go.
Tony

Topher
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 53.585602
longitude: -1.522710

Only took 8 months for me to pick up that self sufficient ish is sparking back into life.
Hi! I seem to be back too.
T