ginger and lemon wine

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
modern day hippie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

ginger and lemon wine

Hi this is a bit of a self made recipe but have made three lots and seems to work fine
also unless you grow lemons or ginger most of its shop brought im afraid so a bit of a cheat but still a lot nicer and cheaper than any shop brought ones ive tried.
you will need a beer or wine fermenting bucket and two demijohs
this makes 12 bottles
ingredients
1LB stem root ginger (can be grown but never managed to grow that much)
12 lemons
2kgs sugar
yeast any will do i use two sachets of dried bread making yeast
this is the easy part chop up the ginger slice the lemons and throw into the bucket add about 6-8pints of hot water and soak overnight.
next day add enough water to make up to 10 litres and leave for a further two to three days this could be left longer but the ginger starts to go funny so i wouldnt recomend it.
now for the messy part remove the lemons and ginger and squezze at as much quice as possible strain the liquid and dissolve in the sugar.
place into the two demijohns and add a sachet of yeast to each.
after three weeks or when all bubbling has ceased i add two cambden tablets into each demijohn and bottle
you can also filter the wine at this stage as well if wanted.
now the fun part this wine has two flavors if left for a week its very lemony with a hint of ginger but after three months it loses the lemon flavor and becomes more of a ginger wine
Ps for true ginger fans try making some now and leaving a couple of bottles till christmas but dont blame me if its to strong
happy drinking

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

That's brilliant... am picking up two demijohns tomorrow from a freecycler YAY... I know exactly what's going into them too.

Cheers!!!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

chadspad

Hi there,
Gonna try this recipe this afternoon, it sounds yummy and hubby is a real ginger fan!
What are the campden tablets for and are they necessary?
Thanks Wendy

chadspad

Have got to the stage where the fermenting has finished. I havent used campden tablets but the liquid is very clear except for the yuk at the bottom. I will strain it thru muslin next. Recipe says to bottle it now - doesnt it need to sit in demijohn for 3 months or so like other recipes? I have plenty of glass bottles with screw lids that previously had wine in, would these be OK to use or do I need to use corks?
Thanks

chadspad

Calling all you wine experts!! Can someone please advise me on what I might need to clear this wine ginger and lemon ive made? I have racked it a few times now and there is no sediment left at the bottom but the wine is still a little cloudy. The recipe didnt call for any pectolase - would that be needed as there were lemons used or am I missing something else?
Thanks Wendy
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Luath
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've not made ginger and lemon wine like the recipe above, but make lemon wine regularly, and it clears after a while of its own accord with nothing added.

I have just racked off a gallon of lemon and ginger, but it was made from lemon and ginger teabags - very promising too.
visit my Creative Living forum
unboughtdelicacies
Radical sanity - it's the way to go.

chadspad

Maybe I just need to be a little more patient then! Not too good at that lol. Thanks for your help again.

Have u tried lavender wine? If so, does it taste like parma violets?
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

oooh...i've got 3 demijohns just asking to be filled!

Silly question alert: I have no corks for them. Do i need proper airtight corks, or a fermenting lock?

And...if anyone has any recipes for Lavender wine that tastes like parma violets, could they share them please? I'm rather partial to Parma Violets but they don't do too well in vodka..

Luath
Living the good life
Living the good life

Lavender wine? Sounds interesting, could give that a go. Will ahve a hunt in my books.

You need a fermentation on a bored cork for the demi-johns whilst the wine is fermenting, or you run the risk of explosion. :shock:
unboughtdelicacies

chadspad

Luath
Living the good life
Living the good life

I thought Jack would be involved somewhere - great site, that. Off for a look.
unboughtdelicacies

Luath
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for that ; seems a lot of lavender int he first recipe compared to the second. Got to be worth a go, I've a load of dried lavender.
unboughtdelicacies

chadspad

Found another one somewhere that was blackberries & lavender - trouble is, gotta remember where I saw it now :roll:

Luath
Living the good life
Living the good life

Aha, that sounds really nice too. Might give it a go as well.
unboughtdelicacies

chadspad

It was 2lb of blackberries and 1 cup of lavender for a gallon.

Silly question but do u really enjoy drinking the wines u make or do u drink them cos u made them? The one ive made so far tastes exactly as homebrewed wines has always tasted to me when others have amde them - sour and quite honestly, pretty duff. What flavours are the best to actually taste like the ingrediant uve made them from? Definitely gonna try to coffee as u said its like tia maria.