Electric car

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Electric car

I caught the last few minutes of a motoring programme on TV this evening. They were test driving an electric sports car.

Now I don't really understand modern car styling (I drive an elderly Volvo). I'm in the old school of 'form follows function', so I assume the function of a modern sports car is pretty much the same as a pair of modern trainers or a mobile phone - first and foremost a type of jewelry. But I have to concede that this sports car looked sexier than a milk float. And the figures were very impressive - a couple of hundred miles when fully charged; three and a half hour charging time; 140 BHP...

Still relies on a national infrastructure of energy supply, and it would be interesting to know how efficient it is (storage batteries are not good at storing electricity). And it does nothing to solve any transport system issues.

However, there was one major flaw that may limit its contribution to the developement of the electric car as a means of daily transport. It cost £300,000.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

hack cough choke fall down die!
:shock:
$600,000!
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

the first motor cars were priced out of most peoples range, at least it is being made! BMW have also made a hydrogen powered car that can reach speed of 185 mph.

As for the transport issue, as far as I can see in the Uk we wont have enough road for all the cars, so we are getting closer and closer to more and more huge gridlocks.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Chickenlady

I'm gonna get one! ( we would then all have to live in it, and take a lodger...)

ina

My perfect transport idea is still the plane in Chicken Run - anybody remember that? It might be a bit hard on folks on long haul flights, but maybe we could get one going for the shorter trips to Europe?

Ina

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like it! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

sparticuss
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wombat wrote:hack cough choke fall down die!
:shock:
$600,000!
Hooks poor Wombat through the mains to zap and revive him.

Settle down there me olde mate. Thats 600k for the flamin PROTORTYPE. Or the limited production model.

And those figures are roughly the same for any other limited production petrol car, eg Ferrari or Rolls

Get the little beastie onto the production line and you would probably be looking at figures comprable to any other car.

sparticuss
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Andy Hamilton wrote:the first motor cars were priced out of most peoples range, at least it is being made! BMW have also made a hydrogen powered car that can reach speed of 185 mph.

As for the transport issue, as far as I can see in the Uk we wont have enough road for all the cars, so we are getting closer and closer to more and more huge gridlocks.
Gridlock my motorbike??? You poms invented the perfect vehicle for both your weather , your gridlcks, and the environement, almost thirty years ago. It was called the Quasar and I'll never understand why it never took offf.
:mrgreen: I even know where theres one being restored in Australia.

wulf

I haven't heard of the Quasar - have you got a link (Googling turns up lots of hits, none of which look useful)?

Wulf