TEAM "TRIM TAUT & TERRIFIC" seeks support

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
The Chili Monster
A selfsufficientish Regular

Weighed myself earlier this evening.

I am a whole 2 pounds ( a little under one kilogram) lighter.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well done Chilli!!!!! Keep it up.

Boots - I've not heard of the strip diet before, I think I'm going to have to look into it before I give you an opinion. I tend to disagree with all 'fad' diets until I've looked at the facts for myself, so if I was going to give you a reply about it now it would just be a negative rant - so with that in mind I'd prefer to read up on it a bit and let you know - cutting out carbs (especially from wholemeal sources) does mean cutting out a lot of minerals and vitamins so you should be mindful of that. Saying all that if it works and more importantly works for you and you take some supliments then I see no reason why you shouldn't carry on with it.

Keep it up TTT's

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Dave!

This carbohydrate thing confuses the living daylights out of me. One minute they are good, eat all you want.....then they are bad, give 'em up! I reckon that in a balanced diet all should be well. your thoughts please.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

PurpleDragon

We were invited to the school yesterday to participate in something called "Hungry for Success" with our nursery children.

The woman banned just about everything, including full fat milk for under 5's (!) and talked to us like we were about 10 years old. The nursery chlidren didnt have a clue what she was going on about because she spoke over their heads. You would have thought the occasional packet of crisps would put the children in their grave before they were 40.

I spoke with a couple of Mums after we left and we all agreed that her advice was pretty useless and we would carry on feeding our children the way we had before.

I fully agree with the "a little of what you like doesn't hurt you" thing. I like Coke and I will have a can once in a while - every 6 weeks or so? Ain't gonna kill me! If I was drinking 6 cans a day, yeah.

Incidentally, the primary children (of which I have one) also went thru to see this woman, and came out inspired. My son has been quoting her and pointing out 'unhealthy eating' adverts on the telly and saying the food is disgusting. So the poor woman obviously just can't speak to mega-small people (who don't make their own food anyway) and adults (who are capable of making their own decisions).
PurpleDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no snooze button on a hungry cat

Boots

HI Nev,
This my take on it - but am quite happy to be corrected by the nutritionist if he disagrees!

Carbs are an essential and now almost unavoidable part of everyday diets. The provide for energy release and effectively 'store' that energy or fuel for even and steady distribution. Unfortunately, our lifestyles rarely require the amount of carbs we take on, so carbs convert to fat if our bodies do not use them effectively (as in, use the fuel).

If a bodybuilder wants to build bulk - which a lot of guys like to do - you know, mass muscle... they consume high carbs and protein so they can build and convert their stored fats (fats, not fat) to muscle.

Strip diets are used prior to comps to quickly remove any stored fats that won't be converted prior to presentation. This defines muscles mass, reduces scale weight and lets the body be 'seen' better, because lines are defined and you can better see where the weight work has taken place, or where work its needed.

Being a gal, who prefers the benefits of strength without gain (as in muscle mass), I am just fuelling for my own output, the weight loss goal of 2kg a week and muscle definition. No gains. To get that, I need to increase what I am doing in relation to what I am taking in foodwise and work with the stored fats. Adding carbs now adds to that reserve, so they don't get much of a look in until things are 'balanced' out for the maintenance program. That make sense?

The past two weeks have been very sedentary for me... lots of driving means lots of sitting... not like me at all. I doubt I've been burning much at all really. My inactivity was awful to be honest. Depressed me. I arrived at the end of the past two weeks feeling as though I had just got out of hospital. You know that weak feeling you have after spending a few days laying down in the hospital? Just eating and laying down. Relaxed, but your body feels all stiff and weak. That's how I felt! Arrived back at the farm and went straight out and dug some contours for 2 hours till dark! Might seem mad, but I just so needed to feel my body moving and working again.

Nothings bad, I figure. It just depends whether we are using what we are actually taking in, or not. That's how I look at it. If you are at optimum weight, then carbs would be a part of your balanced diet.

Strip diets have been used for at least 15 years that I've been lifting, probably a lot longer than that, so I don't think I would refer to them as a fad diet. People who lift weights are usually interested it what food does to their bodies, so most lifters start learning about it fairly early on, I think. I try to listen to my body, if that makes sense. For the majority of lifters, it is an individual sport and you spend a lot of time competing with yourself, learning about yourself and your metabolism, energy levels, sleep routines, eating habits.

These things are very different for everyone of course, so when lifters prepare to strip they usually have their own programs that have developed into working models for them. Even if you are not competing, there are still times you want to present well... things like a wedding, summer time, whatever, when you consciously want to look your best...

Or you know.... when the Brits are getting ABSOLUTELY PULVERISED in the Ashes and you want to make sure they eat a suitable amount of humble pie... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Shirley

Only another 1lb this week - BUT I'm below 11 stone for the first time in ages YAY!!! I'm happy.... blooming starving right at this minute mind you and there is a huge pile of chocolate in the kitchen... will power, will power!!!!!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

The Chili Monster

Well done, Shirlz!

The Chili Monster

I've lost three pounds this week.

Shirley

yay that's FAB CM!!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Do you know.. it's only a couple of pound that I've dropped but I'm feeling good about it and I feel that I've got more energy too.

I've just cooked the most fantastic soup btw... I must post the link on here.. a really entertaining blog from some guy in Hollywood!

Roasted Sweet Potato and Red Onion Soup - I saw a carton of New Covent Garden soup of the same name (but not roasted) and couldn't bring myself to pay £2 for a small carton of soup... so bought red onions and sweet potatoes instead and googled... and boy am I glad I did... this is now officially in my top ten soups.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

The Chili Monster

That soup sounds yummy.

Boots

Well done Girls!!!!

Am still yet to weigh, and am a bit nervous to be honest. Am scared the last week was just too slack, but will make sure I weigh in tonight... or maybe I should wait until the morning... Will do it though and check back in when I have a chance.

Congrats on the losses. Keep up the good work!
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

shiney

Keep up the good work ladies!

:cooldude:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Boots

er... better log in and report...

No loss. No gain.

pfffft.

The Chili Monster

Keep going, Boots. We'll get there.

Well, I lost two more pounds this week. This means that

I've lost my first stone!

Pilsbury
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

congrats to you all very inspired now :shock:
just pass on some sensable advice i got from a hospital app recently
as you sleep you base metabolic rate will drop to quite low and it will stay there until you wake it up with a feed, that is why the meal is called break fast so it is important to get the rate up as fast as you can which means eating as soon as you can or even a drink of orange juice. During the day as your body works through the calories it slows down again, if it has nothing to work on it will slow down again so low GI food that release the calories slowly will keep the metabolim higher than say sugar. keeping you rmetabolim high helps to burn more calories during the day even if you do nothing else.
Happy to be told different but this is how i understood it and it now makes sense why breakfast is the most important meal of the day and low GI oats in porridge make it even better.
Never trust a skinny chef
www.handmademeat.co.uk