Pheasant recipes

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Daisy's Mum
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Pheasant recipes

Okay so I thought that I would put in a request for any good pheasant recipes as I have just dropped DH off this morning to do some beating for a friend...

Now comes the rant!...

Got there just as the guns were arriving, and friend (who works for the land owner) was having a word about the fact that after the shoot, most of the beaters are paid with cash, but will get birds if the guns don't want to take them home. Turns out that last shoot they had the guns had taken their umpteen brace of birds and then thrown them out of the window into the hegderow or ditch on their way home as they didn't want them! Unreal. I know that most of them there have more money than sense but that's ridiculous. Most of the beaters are more than happy to take the birds and put them good use and i think that if you are going to take a life, it ought to be for more than just bloody recreation, you should respect that life by putting as much of it to good use as possible! (even if that means filling my stomach and not theirs!)

But it seems that the guns are working on the attitude that they 'paid' for the birds so why shouild they give them to anyone else?! Selfishness at its extreme me thinks!

But that's besides the point, pheasant recipes please people- I know they need to hang for a bit. But should have some lovely meals on the run up to Christmas eh?

Lorna x
That's the trouble with Do It Yourself - Sometimes it goes and does it back! - Tom Good

2steps
A selfsufficientish Regular

sorry I don't have any recipes, I'd love to try pheasent too

but that's really discusting and totally selfish and what's really sad is it doesn't really surprise me :(

Shirley

That's disgraceful!!!!!!

Our first experience with pheasant... we didn't know what to do... and a friend came round and said.. you only need the breast meat... the rest isn't worth bothering with... so he literally just skinned it and took out the breasts.

I've just bought a brace of pheasant at the local(ish) farm shop and so will rootling through my recipe books... Today we had pheasant broth at the farm shop - that was delicious and I'm going to email them and ask for the recipe... will post it here if they respond.

Are you planning on roasting the whole bird or various bits.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Daisy's Mum

Thanks for that, I do find myself following an if in doubt turn it into a soup type, so any imput is more than welcome.

Lorna x
That's the trouble with Do It Yourself - Sometimes it goes and does it back! - Tom Good

Shirley

I bought a pheasant at the weekend... and I pot roasted it. Onions, shallots and red wine... and it tasted delicious.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

shiney

The only time I have pheasant is when we come across a fresh road kill.

We slow cook it in finely chopped shallots or onions, some thinly sliced carrot, red wine (it's the law in my book!) and a couple of bacon strips laid across the breast. Served up with mash potato to soak up the gravy and something green. :lol:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/