'Christmas' Play!?!

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

'Christmas' Play!?!

It was my DS's play yesterday and like a good Mummy I went and smiled and clapped heartily.

But.

They did a story called 'Oi! Get off my train' which is a perfectly nice story about a boy who goes around the world on a magical train. On his way he meets lots of animals that want to get on too, for various reasons of habitat destruction/poaching etc. Which is all very aware and laudable but WTF does it have to do with Christmas? :roll:

DS was a tiger and had to say "Please let me get on your train. The forests where we live are being cut down and soon there will be none of us left :( ."
He was very good and all the children put their hearts in to it, but what I want to know is what is wrong with a good old nativity? He's 5 for goodness sake and his name's Gabriel - there's a part that could have been written for him :lol:

Grrrrr.

Anna x

2steps
A selfsufficientish Regular

is my daughter's tomorrow and that isn't a nativity either. they didn't do one last year or the year before either though the stories they did do were based loosly around the christmas story

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have two plays to watch again this year. Son 1 is a junior and son 2 is an infant. Not sure what either is about but will go and support them anyway.

shiney

We have our son's christmas 'do' tomorrow. It's not a nativity. Perhaps it's not politically correct to have a christian event anymore!

And there's always the pushy parents who want their little darling to be the lead player etc.

In this year's production everyone gets an equal role being a letter of the alphabet which has a little rhyme about christmas. (so I gather from what my son has been singing in bed to himself!)
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

circlecross

I would like to see my little one in a tale about conservation! If I can stop him leaking from every orifice, he is to be a "santa" and sing some slushy songs. I have asked dh if it would be appropriate to dresshim in a druids robe as his "do" is on the solstice. Christian dh looked askance.
The pre-school where I work is doing the nativity - everyone wants to be an angel, and no shepherds! In Cumbria! I found myself teaching about the "story" saying that shepherds were the most important REALLY as they get to see the baby first before it's all kissed by everyone else, etc etc. No joy.
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

Shirley

I'd rather not have the nativity play because I'm a non believer... but taken at face value as a traditional story that's been told through the ages it makes me cry every time I see it :mrgreen: :oops:

My little one is going to be Joseph this year.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

shiney

[quote="Shirlz2005"]I'd rather not have the nativity play because I'm a non believer... but taken at face value as a traditional story that's been told through the ages it makes me cry every time I see it :mrgreen: :oops: quote]

I'm not a believer but still kids need to know all about it ~ then they can make their own decision in later life.

I know what you mean Shirlz the nativity is cute...Monty looked great as a pig! (did he mind, not one bit!)
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

dibnah
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

At my sons school they make such a big deal out of it for three years they have done a kids stars in there eyes!!!!!! then last year they decided to go all out with a nativity in a local church, it's stars in your eyes this year again.

Also at his school you are not allowed to video the performance which makes me mumble into my beard.

dibnah
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I once played Father Christmas in a school play forgot all my lines out of shear terror and just stood there for five minutes with tears in my eyes.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2steps

I agree with shiney. though I am a non beliver I am happy for my children to learn about these things and so make their own choices later. ~I do wish schools would do morenon christian celebrations though

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I agree with Shiney - if they don't know the story they can't make their own decisions. To be honest I think one of the things that annoys me is that there seems to be no balance of knowledge when they do their bits and pieces of RE (or whatever it's called these days!).

We are part of a very multicultural school and they really use it to their advantage most of the time. They've just won an International Schools award for doing that very thing. There are 27 different languages spoken by children at the school or their families and a big effort is always made to understand some of the significant religious events celebrated. For example, during this term they had Eid and Diwali parties, made diva lamps & cards, ate traditional foods and had henna painting done. So where is Christmas in it all?

Now I'm not a bang on the door Christian and personally I am far more interested in the Pagan way of life then any other religion but I want my kids to know about all of it. I want them to have the joy of teatowels slipping around their heads and halos falling off at inappropriate moments. I want the baby Jesus to be held up by his left leg and I want the innkeeper to forget his lines and the wise man to eat the chocolate gold!

It just seems a shame that schools seem to forget about it in order to be pc.

Blimey - rant over :?

Anna x

Chickpea

They don't all, fp. It was my kids' Christmas play today, or rather plays, one for infants and one for juniors. They were both variations on the nativity. Infants did "How can we stop the baby Jesus crying? Not with expensive gifts but with a loving kiss from a child", and juniors did "Modern day homeless mother seeks refuge in various places and is turned away because everyone is too busy celebrating Christmas by eating, spending, dancing, but is accepted at a home where the nativity story is being read to the children". It's a Catholic school, the parish priest was the guest of honour, and all the parents were offered tea and mince pies afterwards.

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Now they sound like the sort of Christmas plays I'd really like to see!

Anna x

glenniedragon

DS performances this year were "the inkeepers breakfast" loosely based on the nativity (the inkeeper being the owner of the stable, who is so busy with visitors his breakfast sits there all day never being eaten) Had singing and dancing and every child in DS year had a part with words, which I thought was a nice touch. I was happy with the amount of the xmas story in the play as the school is just a county Primary (so loosely religious you could say) rather than Cof E or Catholic. I am not a Christian and have gone through many of the festivals around this time of year with offsring (diwali, hannuka, yule, solstice) as many have said, children can make their own mind up what to believe when they know the stories related with each faith when they are grown up. No1 son is great at questioning and I positively encourage that! but the most important thing is that they can come to their own conclusions through reasoned thought and personal fulfillment- not 'because its what is expected' as it was when I was a young 'un. (cue bath chair entrance right)

Many compliments of the season, whatever your denomination

kind thoughts
Deb

2steps

my daughters play was the 3 little pigs but set at xmas