Life without guilt?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Life without guilt?

I love the kind of life we've chosen to lead - fairly 'normal' but with a close eye being cast on the 'bigger' issues, knowing where my food comes from, caring about it, growing it, feeling 'close' to the world around me.

But. I was thinking earlier (I do sometimes), what it's like to do simply do things without knowing the consequences? Things we 'ishers consider but we know not everyone does.

Like earlier. I was making my dinner (kids in bed, DH is out) and I pulled some stuff from the freezer. Lurking at the back was a bag of big, juicy tiger prawns that Mum gave me as she bought loads when they were on offer. So I'm putting them in my Thai curry. But all I can think about is the food miles, the supermarket they were bought in, the conditions and pay of the fishermen who braved the ocean to bring them to shore, the potentially damaged ecology of their natural environment...

If I'm honest, a little bit of me wishes I could eat whatever I want without the guilt if I do.

I am going to eat my curry and I am going to enjoy it. But I know I probably won't buy them any myself because I am concerned about all of those things. Just wondered if anyone else had moments of weakness?

Anna x[/i]
Last edited by funkypixie on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

I used to just buy any eggs, haven't bought any for ages but decided to do some baking yesterday and found that I couldn't bring myself to buy the value ones. I suppose the moments of weakness are better than not being aware at all!

Philip

p.s. I don't think that Tony Blairs air travel counts as a guilty moment of weakness, especially as he should be setting an example as primeminister!

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Guilty, who? :roll: er, OK I'll 'fess up!

We bought two joints of NZ :oops: lamb recently because they were (relatively) cheap, being half the price of French lamb. I don't know how on earth that works out.

We haven't bought lamb for years because it is sooooooo expensive, but it was Xmas time so we felt like a naughty treat. :oops:

aussie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Is it a matter of being torn between garlic and mint sauce, a choice of cultures and cooking methods? :wink: In other words, how did you serve the lamb ..?

Clara

my guilty secret...the naughty nighttime nappy! Can´t bear the thought of leakage and nappy rash so I put lo in a disposable at night...

Must try harder :oops:

glenniedragon

We eat loads of soya, now I'm worried that I'm help support those folks that were in the news last year. But if I stop eating soya I'll eat more quorn which costs more, means trips to Te**o and I have no idea how thats made. So I keep buying soya from our local healthfood shop and hope it all goes away.

kind thoughts
Deb

PS I have just used up the last of Dads peat pots that he bought last year. I have now convinced him not to buy anymore, but it seems a shame just to stick them straight in the compost

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I feel awful saying it, but I'm glad it's not just me :?

The lamb sounds lovely too.

And I do buy odd packs of bed mats for the occasional night time accident :(

I feel even worse now.

Anna x
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

red

none of here are pure (I dont think the pure people run or spend time on computers.. guilt guilt) but its about making a difference... small steps are better than no steps.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

aussie wrote:Is it a matter of being torn between garlic and mint sauce, a choice of cultures and cooking methods? :wink: In other words, how did you serve the lamb ..?
Both! Roasted with rosemary and garlic and served with mint sauce for 'im and mint jelly for me, both mint whatsits probably well past their sell by date now!

I'm glad you lot are not perfect either!

aussie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Sounds great :thumbleft: I've been baulking at paying sixteen bucks for a leg of aussie lamb, but had forgotten just how much other folk pay...so, this sundays roast will be lamb....and a bottle of something special to go with it.

shiney

The fact that we are all making a conscious effort and thinking most of the time about food miles, ethical and organic farming is a start. I do my best with the resources I have and the budget I live on.

Every little step towards a greener lifestyle is great!
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Milims

I think the only way it would be possible to live an entirely guilt free green life would be to grow all you own stuff in an organic way, to have spring water, solar power, fallen wood heating, and live in a biodegradable house that you can only leave if you are walking somewhere, naked!! The thing is everything has to come from somewhere, has to be cultivated by someone and has to get here somehow.
I recently switched to using soap nuts instead of soap powder and conditioner and I was feeling very green with myself - but then Chris pointed out that they come from India..........
The thing is I think that the important thing is to be conscious and symapthetic about whats going on and try to do your bit and remember for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction!!!!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah *sigh* I struggle with this on a daily basis. I suppose we should commend ourselvs for what we acheive rather than beat ourselves up for what we don't (having said that I am a classic self beater!).

It is difficult, probably impossible in a urban setting. If it was just Mrs Wombat and I living hrer I think we could come a lot closer but we all have our kinks.

(No you CAN'T turn off the microwave whe I am not using it - I always look at that clock.......) :?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Clara

Milims wrote:I think the only way it would be possible to live an entirely guilt free green life would be to grow all you own stuff in an organic way (TRYING) , to have spring water :thumbright: , solar power :thumbright: , fallen wood heating :thumbright: , and live in a biodegradable house (?) that you can only leave if you are walking somewhere :thumbright: , naked :shock: !!
Feel better now....