Tomato glut

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
IrishAbroad
Tom Good
Tom Good

Tomato glut

Ok, so I planted too many :oops: Now we're going to end up with about 100kg tomatoes.

I've tried sundrying some but unfortunately my dog really enjoyed them!!!

Mum-in-law (always great for suggestions) has roasted some in olive oil and gralic for bottling (under the oil) and made loads of puree for freezing (she's over in France for a holiday). But I need still more ideas. PLEASE

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sundrying out of canine reach? If I had a lot of tomatoes, I'd probably be making a lot of tomato sauces for cooking (rendering them down with some onion and garlic, with perhaps a touch of seasoning and vinegar) then freeze the results in portions to pull out over the next few months.

Meanwhile, over here, I'm just waiting for the first of my tomato crop to start moving from green towards orange and red - I don't think I'm likely to be facing a glut any time soon!

Wulf

2steps

I'd do lots of pasta saucees for freezing and properly some salsas

ina

Ketchup - and bottle it rather than freeze. Saves space in the freezer and is immediately ready as essential "fast food" ingredient...

My first tomato, if you can call it that, is about 1/2 cm in diameter, and of course green. :mrgreen: Long way to go... They flower nicely, but don't seem to want to set fruit. Last year they fruited ok in the polytunnel (door open for insect flight, and all sides netted for wind), but maybe I'll have to go in with a soft brush and help them along.

Wish I had some of your glut :( !

Ina

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Last summer I made and bottled pasta sauce, as Ina says it free's up the freezer, and it worked well. After cooking I put it through a thing that looks like a mincer but extracts the seeds and skins just leaving pure flavour! The sauce didn't last long - got used though, it didn't go off :wink:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Chickenlady

Fresh tomato soup is lovely, too, and you can freeze or bottle it.

(Having said that, I am scared of the idea of bottling fruit and veg since I read about the risks of botulism, but I suppose you are OK if you know what you are doing!)

Chickenlady

Oh - has anyone mentioned chutney? (green or red)

Millymollymandy

I have a new chest freezer on order as my upright is already full (and I've got a small fridge freezer - full - as well!).

So, I normally just freeze the toms (I nearly always grow cherries) then get them out and do whatever with them. When they've been frozen the skins just come off easily.

However this year I grew my cherries in my propagator but without having a greenhouse they have been very slow. So I'm at the flowering and just beginning to form a few fruit stage! Amazing because in the past I've just about finished harvesting my toms by now.

I do have 6 plum toms which I bought from a garden centre because I didn't think the ones I'd sown would get anywhere.

As I have about 30 cherry tom plants :oops: I expect I'll be asking for green tomato chutney recipes later on. :(

:shock: wow all those tomatoes
the big ones make good finger food scoop out the middle fry with a bit finely choped onion and garlic and crispy bacon then wack it back in the tom shell, then wack cheese grated or crumbled wot ever you like quick grill and knock em down with some wine,i hope you liked that let us know when we can all come round we will bring empty stomachs lol :drunken:
dave notts

IrishAbroad
Tom Good
Tom Good

Just on the topic of bottling and nasty things, when I'm bottling I always pop in a Campden tablet (always have tons from the wine and beer making)

It releases Sulphur Dioxide which kills off all the little beasties and ensures the contents are sterile (It isn't harmful in small doses either but don't go munching on the tablets :mrgreen: as it reacts with water to form Sulphurous Acid H2SO3 which burns) The tablet evenually (after a couple of hours) breaks down into harmless sulphites but using too many tablets can leave an eggy taste so use with prudence.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gotta be a bit circumspect there because sulphites can cause problems for asthmatics!

Plus, I must admit, one reason for doing stuff myself is to get away from the chemical additives!

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

Have to agree with you there, Nev. For the moment I stick with freezing and pickling because I know where I am, but I may try some bottling this year but only a small quantity so if it goes off it won't be a disaster.

ina

I use alcohol :drunken: for disinfection of the lids of jam jars - that adds to the flavour, too. Just swish a bit of high alc stuff around the lid just before you fill the jars and then stir it into the jam. I generally use 54% rum if I can get it, but any other spirit does just as well (best would of course be pure alcohol, but it doesn't do much for the taste).

Ina

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have never had any problems M3, so long as you are working on acid fruits or add acids (eg vinegar) and your hygiene is good, you should do OK!

Nev

Millymollymandy

......M3 goes off to sniff her armpits.......

Yeah, it's OK!! :cheers: