Soil preparations ect

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Soil preparations ect

would it be worth writing an article on soil preparations needed and other such topics like when to use netting ect that help people grow herbs and veg? If you give me a few ideas I will see what I can do.

Cheers.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Andy,

When I was starting out it would have been handy to know about things like - double digging; soil pH; types of soils and how to get the best out of them, organics vs chemicals, where to site your veggie patch (I suppose it is a bit academic if you are given an allotment! :? ). Those basic sort of things can be good to know before you start.

My first experience in veggie gardening was to plant sweet peas :oops: into sun baked clay, in the middle of summer. No peas! surprise surprise!

I know that fruit & nut trees are a bit problematic for an allotment, but maybe a section on such things for those who have a garden? :shock:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Double digging was certainly one subject that I was going to talk about. Simple soil tests is another good idea. How about alternatives to chemicals with the side effects that can be expected of chemicals? Also where to put your plant to get optimum results, like shaded areas ect.

I could write a bit of a comprehensive article so it would incorporate allotments and or gardens. When choosing my allotment I did not know that I was on the edge of a clay belt and I did not know that this can also be a good thing. Allotments are generally big areas so it is worth while having a few hints before hand.

Cheers for the ideas, expect an article in the next few weeks.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Emma
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Yeah i could've done wiv something like that too. :? Would've been nice to know what grows in what soil an all :geek:

Gretskie

Alright mate
Yer I would like to know some bits. whens the best time to turn the soil? things like that.