Got any Chili preserve recipies?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Got any Chili preserve recipies?

Hi all, got a glut of chili's and need tried and tested recipies for them so I can keep in the larder! can you help??

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

Chillies dry really well, I've got over 100 dried chillies from last year,

Mrsflibble posted this link in another topic,
recipe for sweet chilli sauce
http://foodandthoughts.blogspot.com/200 ... -evah.html

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

Chilli oil & vinegar are very worthwhile, dry the chillies first though to avoid mould.

possum
A selfsufficientish Regular

chillie vodka, had it once in Edinburgh - potent stuff!
Opinionated but harmless

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Peperoncino Cotto and Crudo are fantastic. Maybe I'll be able to tickle La Contadina into posting up a recipe. :wink:

Stonehead

Chilli and redcurrant jam. I have a recipe scribbled down somewhere, but in the absence of that I think HFW published a recipe for it.

Chilli and tomato jam is very addictive. A NZ chef by the name of Peter Gordon has a superb recipe for making it. I just googled and it's on the web - chilli and tomato jam.

There are scores of recipes for pickling chillies. Some are very straightforward (chillies, vinegar, salt) while others have complex combinations of herbs and spices.

But the really lethal chilli recipe I have is for chilli sauce.

Ingredients
15 chillies - roughly chopped, including seeds, membranes and skins (habaneros or Scotch Bonnet would be my choice)
1 ripe mango - peeled, pitted and mashed
125ml smooth, prepared mustard (I prefer Dijon, while English is for the nutters)
250g light brown sugar
250ml distilled vinegar
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp crushed white peppercorns
1 tsp salt

Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy, non-reactive pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sauce thickens but still pours easily. Push through a fine sieve, then bottle in sterilised jars.

WARNING: Use in moderation. This will blow your socks off!!

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks folks! Lots of ideas there!!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I make firestarter paste by cooking up chillies and them putting them through a fruit press squeezer thingo!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

How do you preserve this nev?

contadina

Here's one from southern Italy called Peperoncino cotto. It's keeps for a couple of years and is fab on bread, cheese, meat etc.

Peperoncino Cotto
Cut chillies into tiny pieces (take out seeds first - you could keep them in if you're hard enough, but I'm not sure if this will affect preserving qualities). Cover in salt and then squeeze/wring by the hand-full to get rid of liquid in the chillies.

Place wrung chillies in a pan of olive oil and boil slowly until soft. Leave to cool. Once cool place chillies in a jar and cover with fresh olive oil.

I'm making a batch tomorrow and I'm really excited as I finished the last lot yonks ago - it's really yum and packs quite a kick.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Biscombe wrote:How do you preserve this nev?
I cook the chillies up with a bit of vinegar..........nothing seems to touch them! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

kimmysmum
Tom Good
Tom Good
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia. Sub-Tropical Climate

I have lots of homegrown homedried chillies. I make chilli powder out of them with a coffee bean grinder and sprinkle it in my Bolognase or anything I want a bit of extra spice in. It keeps for ages also you can make ordinary pesto and add chilli to give it a kick.
They are very decorative when you see them all strung up in the window drying so I guess they are good for home decoratingLOL and the give off a lovely smell. :flower:
LET'S ALL ENJOY THIS ADVENTURE WE CALL LIFE

Cheezy

I once made Chillie and Sloe wine, the recipe is from my Gran's 1950's WI wine and jam book!. It say's you can use other capsicums instead, but I went for the chillies. It came out a little sweet and pink!, and had a ginger beer kind of back of the throat bite, but was really quite OK. Which for my home brew is a sucess :wink:
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

possum

ooh that sounds very interesting, I don't suppose you could fish out the recepe for that wine?
Opinionated but harmless

Cheezy

possum wrote:ooh that sounds very interesting, I don't suppose you could fish out the recepe for that wine?
Will try to remember when I get home tonite
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli