increase in electricity

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
old tree man
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

increase in electricity

Heard on the radio today that our electricity is going to increase by record standards, i think it has given me the incentive to build my own power system to run off has anyone got any idea's on how to get started ? what is the best system to build ? i am on a very tight budget but have the tools to build anything
thanks
Russ
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

John Headstrong

Have a look at the classic 12volt system

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/12v.htm

I have backup lights and radio for power outages during bad weather very similar to the one Nev outlines.

I used to live in a old ambulance and had a 12volt system, I had a black and white TV, radio/CD player, tools, a craptop and lights. charged by a old rutland wind charger and a split charger from the engine. it was everything I needed at the time.

Cheezy

Re: increase in electricity

old tree man wrote:Heard on the radio today that our electricity is going to increase by record standards, i think it has given me the incentive to build my own power system to run off has anyone got any idea's on how to get started ? what is the best system to build ? i am on a very tight budget but have the tools to build anything
thanks
Russ
Don't know if they're commercially available, but you seem to have access to large quantities of wood, what about a Combined Heat and Power run on wood?. Most are based on gas. I did see that restoration project of Griff R. Jones old welsh house I think they ran pelleted wood in a CHP. Put this in the Alternative energy bit and Martin might have some info.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

John Headstrong

maybe you are thinking bigger that 12 volt

this is a wonderful setup
http://www.powercubes.com/listers.html

Now in mid December 2007, I am now able to get
copious amounts of hot water, electricity and
heating from nothing more than filtered waste
vegetable oil, obtained from a local pub.
very sweet

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

:shock: aww no not another rise :pale:

- I'm trying to plan for retirement and my gas (in cylinders) has just gone up by 10% - after going up 10% in October!!
this time of year I can't do without heat

I guess digging out the boarded fireplaces and investing in a multi fuel boiler/cooker might be next step, with solar slabs for hot water and maybe a windpowermill?
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

snapdragon wrote::
I guess digging out the boarded fireplaces and investing in a multi fuel boiler/cooker might be next step, with solar slabs for hot water and maybe a windpowermill?
Around here a "slab" is a carton of beer! :lol:

Solar hot water is good, the newer evacuated tube type seems much more efficient than the flat plate collector style we have.

Our 12 volt system is an ongoing porject and is still developing. That is the beaty of it, you can start small and work your way up!

(Mmmm "classic" 12 volt system, thanks Johm! :mrgreen: )

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Going to give your 12 volt system a go soon nev once i source some local supplies, i will update as i progress.
all the best
Russ
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cool! :mrgreen:
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

MALCOLM CRAGG
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wombat wrote:
snapdragon wrote::
Around here a "slab" is a carton of beer! :lol:

Solar hot water is good, the newer evacuated tube type seems much more efficient than the flat plate collector style we have.

Our 12 volt system is an ongoing porject and is still developing. That is the beaty of it, you can start small and work your way up!

(Mmmm "classic" 12 volt system, thanks Johm! :mrgreen: )

Nev
hi,the glass tube type solar are great,ive had mine 15 years.75 degrees c on the best summer days,but any sun gets them working.
CRAGGY