Egg Incubation

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
GreenSpark
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Egg Incubation

Hi folks have been looking into keeping chickens, and i have been offered some fertile eggs and was wondering if there was a low cost option for incubating eggs, what temp do they have to be maintained at.

Many Thanks

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

It's not just temperature, but humidity too.. and you need to turn the eggs.

Take a look at this thread about home-made incubators CLICK HERE
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

GreenSpark
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for the pointer.

Thats given me some ideas, i am going to get something put together in the next couple of weeks while a do a bit more research on keeping hens.
What is the favourite breed for a compromise between laying and meat.

Thanks

GreenSpark
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

hi folks

Maybe a stupid question, but i have built an incubator and the highest steady temp i can get is 34c is this much to low and i have to move to design Z.

Many thanks

G

glenniedragon

what heating element are you using? is the size of the box too large? have you the right thermistor range? Questions, questions I know but if I can help you figure it out I will. I do have a spare higher end thermistor if thats what you require if you're using a home built thermostat.

kind thoughts
Deb

GreenSpark
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi thanks for the reply i have figured it out, i am using some heat trace cable i had aquired but, I have now found out that it is self regulating so no matter what the thermostat was doing this stuff had a max temp.

So back to the drawing board probably end up being cheaper to buy a incubator at this rate!

cheers andy :roll:

glenniedragon

Yeh maybe, but its soooo satisfying to do though eh? especially when your tinkering about creates life! a bit like Frankenstein really but with more eggs!

You really need to get an Igor

kind thoughts
Deb

GreenSpark
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Yeah thats so true i will carry on tinkering!

Going to try a lamp next i was worried that the light would effect them in some way, have you had success using a lamp?

Cheers Andy

glenniedragon

I've used a 20w bulb as my heating element, no probs with the thermostat turning it on and off during incubation. Once they hatch I put them in a brooder with a hot lamp. If you use a bulb always have a spare sounds obvious but you never know. I had a good rate with hatches last year (around 80%) surplus cockerals dealt with and 2 lots of rare breed hens auctioned at a small profit. Also increased my girls numbers by two from eggs from another source to take the pressure off having a very active cockeral. I intend to use my homemade incubator again this year as my first lot of girls are getting on a bit and I love hatching chicks. I did have a hen go broody last year and after sitting on 7 eggs only one hatched- a cockeral of course- so nature ain't always 100% sucessful herself. Good luck

kind thoughts
Deb

GreenSpark
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Well i have made the incubator and the eggs are in, we will see how it goes! I have used a 25watt lamp in a cooler box holds temp perfectly so all i need now is a bit of luck!

thanks for your help

andrew