A surfeit of ivy

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

A surfeit of ivy

I've spent the last three years carefully cutting back the invasive ivy and trying not to damage the very pretty tree it seems to grow up - only to discover this year that the "tree" is, in fact, the ivy itself (from next door, I hasten to add). So, this year I'm being brutal and zipping along the fence cutting out any bit I see and shredding it. The problem is that I'm going to be left with about half a cubic metre of ivy shreddings. OH put doubts in my mind by saying that she doesn't think it should be composted because it's poisonous. I think that's a fairy story. On the other hand, ivy has a nasty habit of rooting very quickly and efficiently from small scraps.

What do you think - compost it with everything else, or burn it?

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

give it to someone with sheep....
otherwise, i would be reluctant to put it on compost.. prolly put it in the brown bin for recycling..
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

You mean that it's true ??? ... Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy ... ??? Doris Day was an ecologist?

9ball
Living the good life
Living the good life

The ivy we have in the UK is Hedera helix, and is not related to the American poison ivy Rhus radicans, so should be safe to put in your compost. Like you thought though the Ivy would quickly take over your compost heap so I would suggest rotting it down seperately in a black bag before adding to the heap or making sure it's well dried out ofter shredding.
Tom

red

MKG wrote:You mean that it's true ??? ... Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy ... ??? Doris Day was an ecologist?
erm dunno.. never heard of it.. is it a song?

sheep love ivy though. some believe its good for them, like a tonic.. and I have heard more than one person say if they have a sick sheep and it wont even eat ivy.. then its a gonner.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh dear - my wrinkly factor has struck. Yes, it's a song which was recorded by just about everyone in the post-war era (even the Andrews Sisters had a go). I've just toured the net looking for its references (thousands of them), and was reminded of a very apropos song for this forum - It's Not Easy Being Green. Okay, it's by Kermit the Frog, but not everything fits perfectly.