Eco Baby

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
2steps
A selfsufficientish Regular

I'm having my 3rd in november :) definatly agree with getting a sling - found my really usefull, and great for breastfeeding while out and about :)making my own cloth nappies
used terry squares for my son and we still have them around 9 years later :wink: my daughter used to like sleeping with a muslin cloth over her face when she was a baby :lol:

alchemy0
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wow, you're in danger of getting confused with so many recommendations!

Locally, there is a woman who works for a company called nappyline and she offers a selection as a trial pack so that you can see what suits you best. You might want two parts for quick drying or all-in-ones for ease of use.

Personally, I use TotsBots rainbow for the day because they're a bit thinner and TotsBots white/natural nappies at night (with a booster now my LO is one) because they are thicker and more absorbant. I also use Motherease wraps. (Found TotsBots wraps to be rubbish). I think we've only ever had 2 leaks, both probably my fault but it's not easy with the explosive b/f poo!

We chose them because they were most like disposables (my OH wanted ease of use) and they are raved about by everyone that uses them. Try www.babyworld.co.uk who have a nappy forum and really supportive antenatal forums that are divided by month.

I also use fleece liners (softer and dry feeling for baby). Dry pail so no icky water to stick your hands in. They also have velcro or you can use a nappy nippa (Y shaped grip thing that holds it all together).

TotsBots also do factory seconds if you phone them, I think they are 20-25% cheaper but you don't get as much choice. Most of mine are factory seconds and I have no idea why, can't see any difference between those and the regular ones!

Enough waffle, lol. I've got loads of links if you want any.

Claire
x

WitchypooNo2
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

ohh cloth nappies are so my thing! Congrats on the baby!!

what I will say is there are hundreds of nappies out there and far to many cute and fluffily ones to count!! A good nappy forum is www.washabums.co.uk - dedicated to cloth nappy addicts and there is always someone on there selling things. There are also at lot of WAHM (work at home mums) who make and sell nappies. I was a tots bots gal for my first but have diversified for my second. Bamboo is the big discovery of this year. bamboo is easily ecologically grown and much more absorbant that cotton (which can have non fair trade and explotative implications) Tots do a bamboozel and geobel do a wanbamboo.

there are women on washabums which will be able to help but you can get a weeeeny bit adicted to all the different types!! I did :oops: :oops: :oops: Its also a case of how you intend to dry them. in the summer its not a problem but in the winter its a case of either airing cupboard, radiator or tumbly drier. Thick cotton can need a tumbly to dry quick and bring it up soft where as bamboo or micro fibre can do well on a radiator.

We have moved on a long way from good ole terry squares! there are all in ones, pocket nappies, 2 part nappies, shaped, prefolds, flat etc!!!!makes yer head spin but finding the right one for you is not only bloomin marvelous but also really cost effective. Up until a few weeks ago we were using DS1's nappies on DS2!!!

what every you do DO NOT boil em. it kills them!!!! hth

Eli

Tensing
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Eco Baby

Upahill wrote:I'm expecting my first in September and researching the millions of cloth nappy options at the moment. Anyone have any personal experience of a particular brand or know of somewhere to get them second hand (or is that too icky? :mrgreen: )
I purchased loads of samples from differant nappy firms ended up just using loads of differant ones, May still have them some where.
Caroline

Newly updated Blog

http://goodlifeallotment.blogspot.com

circlecross

Just seen this thread - try the buy sell and swap forum on

www.ukparents.co.uk

there is always loads of nappies for sale (and no-one gives a hoot if they're second hand of course).
We used pre-folds and proraps (yummies nappies) similar to cotton bottoms, bambino mio etc, and tried some of the shaped two piece (motherease, poplino,0 but prefolds just so easy, dry quicker and can be used again for other things (and you can make your own if you want!). Proraps are white, bog standard, industrial strength wraps, so no patterns or fancy bits, but good waterproofness (but do get caught by bf and explosive poo in the leg bits but dry quite quick).

There is lots to choose from, and maybe buy a few types second hand to see what you like, and what fits your child aswell. Tie ons good for night as you can stuff them to hearts content. and pad them with flat drying terries if you go camping.

Have a look at the site, and congrats.
Susan
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

hattwich
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

ebay is good for getting a good deal on nappies too. i used bambino mia with 2 of my children and mixtures on the other 2 (oldest was in dispicables) my faves are anything that fits covered with a tots red wrap or the motherease wraps 8) cloth bummed babies look so cute!! oooooooo and i'd second the washabums forum :dave:
peace and love
hatty :)