Dont use plastic shopping bags!!!!

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

500 bags, how much shopping do you do Andy?!! :shock:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

ina

Millymollymandy wrote:We can't get plastic bags in any of the French supermarkets in our vicinity. So what do I do - I have to go out and BUY bl**dy plastic bags to put the cat poo in. Grrrrrr :cry: :tongue2:
MMM - I suppose you live in a reasonably rural area. Do you know any farmers? Here at least we have loads and loads of feed bags / fertiliser bags that we are not allowed to burn (but there is no recycling scheme in place - as usual the Government is quick on banning things without putting the systems in place that you need to cope with the ban...) I use those bags for cat poo and any other rubbish; for storing surplus compost or leaves or anything else that comes along. Never have to buy a plastic bag - well, I think I bought a packet of small freezer bags last year, but most of my stuff gets frozen in empty yogurt cartons / margarine tubs etc.

Ina

Millymollymandy

I freeze my home made bread in those flimsy plastic bags that you put the fruit and veg in. What do you do about that in the UK supermarkets - the bags I mean, when you pick your own fruit and veg? Or are supermarkets offering paper bags for that now?

Big sacks like compost sacks are a bit dirty/large/take up half the plastic bin bag to use for a single cat poo! They get saved to use for outdoor things. Then the cat litter tray has a plastic liner........ plastic is everywhere. :(

Oh - ITS RAINING!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry, but that's more important right now than anything!)

Anyway, I can't see how you can exist without plastic bags or clingfilm. Rubbish needs to go in a plastic bin bag to get taken to the communal bins! And guess what half that rubbish is - packaging!!!

ina

In supermarkets they still have those flimsy bags, and the organic stuff is ALWAYS pre-packed - simply because otherwise they wouldn't be able to tell the difference at the checkout... But I rarely buy veg at supermarkets, and at the farmshop they've got used to me bringing my own bags. So at least I can re-use the plasticbags that I can't avoid in some places. And as I say, I use feed bags for the rubbish instead of bought black bags. Here the bin men are good like that, they pick up the rubbish however it's packed, I think in some places they are a bit fussier (even rubbish needs to look tidy!)

Clingfilm I haven't had in the house for ages. I was tempted to buy some recently - my pocket watch keeps getting dirty and damp when I'm working, and I thought clingfilm would be a good way to protect it, while still being able to read it! I'll have to ask a friend for a small bit. Again, I use old marge and yogurt tubs or clear plastic bags to protect stuff in the fridge where my friends cover it with cling film. What I find most annoying is that you can get bread only in plastic bags, too. Even if you buy it fresh at the bakers (which I rarely do as there is no decent baker nearby), they put it in a plastic bag, then seal it so that it's difficult to open without damaging the bag! It makes the bread even softer and soggier than it is. But I think if I start turning up at the bakers with my own bag (I used a cloth bag just for that in Germany), I'll start a revolution.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ina

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good onya Ina, Go for it! :cheers:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

I'm not much of a revolutionary, Nev... That bloody "good" education is holding me back. :?

Ina

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Did anyone see University Challenge this week? Me and the OM watch it and compete to see who can get the most questions right, 99% of the time he beats me (he's a bit of a geek). This week, one set of bonus questions was on the use of plastic bags. I got all 3 questions correct and managed to beat the OM hands down. I hope lots of viewers were amazed and horrified at the stats of how many bags are used/dumped/littering our land.
Here in Scotland the 10p per bag levy is getting a lot more press, Glasgow Chamber of Commerce are addressing this issue right now.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

I was very pleased to see that The Idler magazine beat the Financial Times.

I've never seen a copy of The Idler, but it sounds just up my street. That is, until I visited their website and found it costs £10 an issue.

What the hell is it made of?
Stew

Ignorance is essential

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ha ha, yes me too. I beat the FT was quite surprised. £10 an issue. seems rather ridulous.

ina

I don't know the Idler, but is it one of those rare print products without advertising? That would explain the cost.

Ina

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

http://www.idler.co.uk/
Here is the web link. I find the website lacks information, maybe they are too idle to update it?!

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Heh! Since I looked at it two days ago, it's suddenly become 'Under Construction'. I guess that could take ages.

The Wikipedia entry tells you more.
Stew

Ignorance is essential