The oil cleansing method - cheap, eco and rather darned good

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: The oil cleansing method - cheap, eco and rather darned good

So are you doing this twice a day? I thought when I read it that it seemed like an occasional deep clean. I feel like it would be a bit too much bother when I'm tired just before I go to bed.

I keep trying to think of the name of the oil we used to take when we were constipated as children. My mother still takes it and I had to buy her some from a pharmacy in France as they wouldn't sell it to her in a chemist in England. I'm sure it wasn't Castor Oil. Any other ones anyone can think of? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Duh - LIQUID PARAFFIN!!! :oops:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I only do it at night if I've worn make up that day - in the morning I just use a 50/50 combo of witch hazel and rose water on a cotton wool pad to freshen up my face. If I feel I need a bit of moisturising I just use a couple of drops of olive oil.

Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Lazyspice I like the idea of your rosewater/witch hazel thing in the morning. I use water in the mornings (oil cleansing method at night), but always want something just a bit more pleasing than a wet flannel - my face never feels clean!
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've been using witch hazel as a toner since my teens, now I'm a wee bit older (ok, a lot older!) my skin is less oily and I find it feels better now if I use the rose water combo instead. It really does make my face feel fresher than just using water. It's quite cheap and lasts ages too :thumbright:

Millymollymandy

You guys are so lucky - I use the thickest most greasy moisturiser imagineable and if I need to put make up on I have to reapply it again or my skin is too dry to apply. I haven't washed my face since I was about 10. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Mine is the opposite - I used to spend all my time putting evil stripping chemicals on it, and took a loooong time to believe that oil would make it less greasy, but it really does!

By the way, for anyone with greasy skin, I've found mine is even better with a bit of castor oil in the oil mix than when I was using plain sunflower oil - been using the castor for about 5 days now. I use about 75% sunflower, 25% castor and a couple of drops of lavender to make it smell prettier.
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i think i'll try this one. i use rosewater and its really nice, cheap too.

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Rosewater smells nice too :thumbright:

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hmmm, this looks very interesting, I may well try it. I use ultra bland from lush at the mo, its a really nice oily, beeswaxy cleanser so I can see that this might be similar (and cheaper!).

As for no 'poo, I only managed that when I had a shaved head! Ahhh life was easier then, quicker in the shower, quicker out of the house in the morning!

I just tried using castile soap on my hair (dr bonners) and it made it feel horrible!, really knotted and kind of dry and greasy at the same time?! Due to lack of cash I'm back on horrible cheap shampoo with loads of silicon and other crap in it.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

The Dr Bronners isn't the problem Lou. Well it sort of is. Any soap opens up the cuticle of your hair and then doesn't close it again. Shampoo does. So you get this weird haystack with a soapy, dirty feel, even though it's clean, yes?

Before you consign it to the bin, try using a spoonful of vinegar in a jug full of cool water as a final rinse. I use cider vinegar but any will do. It closes the cuticle and your looks like you've spent a fortune on a posh conditioner.

Oh, and the very mild smell of vinegar disappears after a couple of minutes.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Green aura!! You described the manky feeling perfectly! I was really upset it didn't seem to work, will definitely try vinegar. My mum always says how her gran used to rinse with cider vinegar so that makes perfect sense!

Just got to go and buy some vinegar now and will let you know how I get on.

x

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I used to use Ultrabland as it shifted all trace of black mascara but it was a little heavy for my skin. One of my friends uses it the same way I use olive oil - slap it on then use a hot damp flannel to take it off again. My olive oil works out a lot cheaper though :wink:

I'm definitely trying the vinegar rinse next time I wash my hair as I'm desperate to find something kinder on my hair than your average shampoo - thanks for the tip :salute:

eccentric_emma

Vinegar rinse is great especially for dark hair - really gives a lovely shine. My mum used to use vinegar on my hair all the time when I was younger - and all my friends used to think it was weird! You really can't smell it though, even though my mum used to use malt vinegar on me.
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Well, I tried it :flower:

I used this to wash my hair http://akuawood.x-shops.com/product.php ... t=2&page=1 and did the final rinse with cider vinegar (wasn't sure about proportions so used a tbsp to about 1.5 litres) and my hair feels pretty good. It's not quite as soft and shiny as it would be with a commercial shampoo and conditioner but it doesn't have that horrible stiff cacky feel about it, which is good enough for me :thumbright:

I've got shoulder length hair with no dye in it, by the way - I've been growing out the grey for the last 18 months - I don't know if the vinegar would strip colour?

citizentwiglet

What a smashing thread! I have a dreadful T-Zone (even at the ancient age of 36), and have been doing oil cleansing for a couple of years now. I was using olive oil, but I think buying in some Sweet Almond Oil is worth it.

I HATE SHAMPOO! I have very long, very coarse, wavy hair that is very porous. I did have one hairdresser who didn't promote products, who told me that you should just buy the cheapest shampoo (you know, the value stuff, about 40p a gallon, but NEVER use baby stuff on adult hair), then forget about the conditioner because that's usually just full of 'plastics' to make your hair look shiny and temporarily flatten the follicles, and use oil instead - put it in at night, but rinse it out in the morning. Great - it worked a treat - but now we don't have a shower, so I have to rinse my head over the bath using a jug.

I now only wash my hair every 7 to 10 days. It doesn't itch at all. I use a Weleda shampoo, and a conditioner made from oil with essential oils - bergamot and sandalwood, I think, from Neals Yard ( I had a problem with sebhorrehic (sp) dermatitis a wee while ago - before I stopped washing my hair so much), you leave the oil on for an hour and then rinse it, rather than leaving it on overnight. You also massage it right into your scalp, and apply more into the ends if your hair is long.

It does need a cut - it hasn't been trimmed in 2 years, so is almost down to my bum, so there are bound to be a lot of straggly bits at the ends, but I have a hairdresser phobia, LOL, but the split ends are nowhere near as bad as they were when I was just using standard products.
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden