Home town or nomad?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
AdamW
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

in 22 years i have lived in one house then moved to one in its back garden...! We have some land about 3 miles away that one day i aspire to build myself a small holding on but thats along way in the future, i am a country lad born and bred, hate visiting cities but often do so to see friends at uni or those who moved away.

Give me a long grassy field on a summer evening any day!

yugogypsy

Hometown or Nomad

Hometown girl, born in the local hospital, spent my first 5 years 5 miles away and the last 38 here.

Been to the North of the Province, south as far as Portland Oregon USA and east as far as Toronto Canada.

Thats enough and now I'll stay home and work on my garden

Lois

secrets
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

i just love moving house,even if its in the same area.
but i,ve lived in Frome,Warminster,near Bath,and now Clevedon,but i would like to move to Bristol which is very unlikely because we live in my partners family home which has been in his family for 80 years.

yugogypsy

Hometown or Nomad

Hey Secrets, my maternal grandmum came from Frome, and yes I know its pronounced FROOME. And Grandpa was from Bath-a Doswell if you met any.

Lois

secrets
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Hometown or Nomad

yugogypsy wrote:Hey Secrets, my maternal grandmum came from Frome, and yes I know its pronounced FROOME. And Grandpa was from Bath-a Doswell if you met any.

Lois
hi Lois,glad to know you. :thumbright:
yes tis Froome,i actually never liked the place though. :(
but i did like Bath. :cheers:

yugogypsy

Hometown or Nomad

I hear Frome is very small, my aunt visited in the late 1970's.

And I know there are still MANY Doswell's in Bath because I checked a Bath phone directory online.

So someday I shall have to save my pennies and come over-take my longest trip away yet and look up the maternal family connections.

Have a great day

Lois

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

Born in Yorkshire, lived there until I was 9, when my parents moved over to Lancashire

Moved in with partner and lived with his mum for a bit, got our own place in Preston.

Moved house due to the area and neighbours, moved house again last year to current place

Counting move to and from uni accomodation, thats 6 places in 27 years.

Not bad really, and the majority of the moves have been in a fairly close area.
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/

multiveg
Living the good life
Living the good life

Have moved around a bit - from Bromley to Catford back to Bromley to Ilford back to Bromley to Wood Green to Bristol to Belfast (2 addresses) and then settled in Caernarfon (3rd address though).

fenwoman

total nomad here. 23 homes in my 52 years and if it weren't for the fact that I am unable to get another mortgage, I would have moved again. I have no family in any one place, they are scattered all over the world.

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

found my home at last :flower:

never felt attached to anywhere until 18 years ago. born in lancashire, italian father with a bit of argentine, english mum (bless her) lived on the tuscan border for a couple of years :lol: then back to lancashire. accrington to be precise :( did the school, marriage,mortgage,work treadmill thing till i was 29 in 1985 then upped sticks :( :cooldude: packed in the job i'd done for 14years since leaving school. sold everything and moved with my then wife to a tiny cottage on a wee island to manage a scallop farm!!!!!!

did that for 4 years then decided to get a place of our own and do the selfsufficient bit. bought a 7.5 acre croft with a couple of hundred acres of hill 10 miles from anywhere on another island :roll: no phone, no electric, no nieghbours and no money. read all the books (apart from one on hens) got sheep, goats, ducks :roll: cut hay (by hand) and became a proper crofter.

however this did not pay any bills :( for that i used to fish for lobster and dive for clams. the thing was i was very good at it so gradualy became more of a fisherman and less of a crofter :? the wife went as did the goats and i swapped the sheep for a fishing boat (at the bottom of the sea)
lived on my own for about 5 years did allot of reading (just not about hens) smoked allot of dope so forgot most of what i'd read :roll: ( do not try this guys :dave: ) gave up the diving shortly after 2nd marriage and son arrived :lol:

now i have a great wee job where i work week on week off so for the past couple of years we have been treading the greener path and trying to get back on the selfsufficient road.

the next time i move it will be in a wooden box :lol:

lol from paul, barbara, ross and our extended family of dooks, chooks, piggies and cats. had the poor wee dog put down last year :cry:

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well now that everything is hunky dory and you have a bit of time to spare, read that bloody book on hens! :mrgreen:

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

Millymollymandy wrote:Well now that everything is hunky dory and you have a bit of time to spare, read that bloody book on hens! :mrgreen:

time to spare!!!!!! that'll be the day. this weeks to do list :- fit new engine to our 21 year old land rover, fit new bath (that's been sat in shed for 2 years), repair rutland wind turbine (again) put electric fence up to stop 4 week old weaners getting in with 2 year old boar (quite honestly i think the boar would come off worse!) go for hearing test on skye (full day :( ) and that's before i start cutting wood, clearing drains, etc. but i will honest one day honest :lol:

Nikki
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Nomad through and through (or gypsy as my father called me)

Spanish ancestors from father, Italian ancestors from mother.
Uruguya, S. America - 4 years
Sydney, Austalia - 21 years
Travelling round world - 4 months
Midlands, UK - 12 years
Heading to Montenegro within 6 months - hopefully for good

Must be in the genes. My parents emmigrated, but my great-great-grand-father was said to have gone out for cigars, in Spain, and ended up in Uruguay. I hope the cigars were good.
Interests: land care, organic, permaculture, animal welfare, home education, tea.