Green building/eco village in Bristol. Fancy it???

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Green building/eco village in Bristol. Fancy it???

OK this has been left somewhat I hope that by replying to the thread it reopens the discussion. I think the idea still stands and as this thread has so far had over 14 000 views (and of course by all the comments) obviously others believe in this idea too.

I would like to start again on this idea perhaps in the new year and perhaps having someone else leading it, taking the active role of motivating people etc. Don't get me wrong I am still enthused about the idea I just feel that organising meetings etc is not necessarily my forte.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Rezzo
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

From what I've read so far, the project is outside of my financial and skill limitations, but I'm still interested in attending future meetings, when they occur.

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Very interesting thread indeed

I would be very interested in coming to a future meeting.

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

you need to talk to or visit these people in Nottinghamshire:

http://www.bioregional.com/programme_pr ... ed_hpg.htm

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

invisiblepiper

Take a look at Findhorn - Morayshire.
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

Shirley

If you fancy another visit Andy, we could go and visit Findhorn - it's been on my 'to do' list for a while.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

All this talk of meeting up at different venues has got me thinking.

How about arranging an ish meet up at an appropriate venue like CAT

Just a thought

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

gigglybug

I would be interested in coming to the meetings, sounds great! :bom:
Amanda

Facebook group : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34623838139
If your near W-S-M please join!

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re:

the.fee.fairy wrote:oooh ooh...are there any banks that would give mortgages for green homes to be built/live-in tipis/yurts etc?

Because...then there would be a lot more interest rather than people just dreaming about it, they'd be more inclined to build green.
http://www.ecology.co.uk/

Does this fit the bill? Me and blokey want to apply for funding for a woodland but they also do loans and mortgages for energy efficent housing and low impact living. Hope it's useful.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

gigglybug

Great link!

I didn't think you could get them, that makes it much more do-able for me! :cheers:
Amanda

Facebook group : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34623838139
If your near W-S-M please join!

Linda1
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I think this is a great idea, and I would be interested in finding out more. If there are any meetings then please let me know.

Thanks

whartonski
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

These guys could be useful for finance:

http://www.ecology.co.uk/

Sounds like the sort of thing that needs a co-ordinator to lead on. I reckon a business plan could be:

1) Get expressions of interest from seriously interested individuals.

2) Do a skills audit. (reckon lawyers would be useful for initial phases - both for drafting the agreement and liasing with planners)

3) Work out best low-cost strategy. (how to access govt/ trusts funding - what is best way to incorporate the 'group' charity, ltd co, CLC, etc). Could a eco-build training co be established to access LSC funding?

4) Do a funding audit - what is the minimum buy-in? Are there entry requirements? Can a pooled loan be considered for an incorporated group?

5) Then start hunting for land/ considering built techniques etc.

Sounds like a lot of work, but could be a great project. Don't want to sound like a nazi breadhead, but a good business plan would really be the starting point. (I think that if enough people agreed in principal to create it as a clc or co-operative it might well be possible to access funding from the co-op's community fund to pay for a co-ordinator to lead on it for 6 months).

whartonski
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thinking about this a bit more, is there any mileage in scoping to see if there's demand for self-build groups across the UK & how to set up online support mechanisms? Does this exist elsewhere? This site does seem to have good traffic, so could possibly make a successful go at this.

On another tack, a few years ago a northern council sold houses in deprived areas for £1 - it revitalised the areas & now those same houses are of comparable value to similar houses in 'sought after' areas. Is there any mileage in identifying potential areas ripe for community development? I know around Leeds there are certain villages where you can get a 3 bed house with garden close to transport links for less than £40k because the community has effectively died & drugs & crime taken over. I could see potential for some sort of club to agree to all buy in such a village with the aim of strengthening the positive community elements and re-invigorating the area. Would need to be properly planned, but could offer a quicker alternative to self-building for people who can't afford to buy in reasonable areas.

boboff

This may be useful to you to get a community base set up.

It would have to be a village though

Big Lottery Fund - Village SOS is an exciting new initiative from the Big Lottery Fund (BIG) and the BBC. It is searching for six UK villages with a great business idea and six enterprising individuals to act as Village Champions and help them achieve their ambitions.

Together they will create a brand new venture that will bring new life and energy to the village with funding of between £100,000 and £400,000 from BIG.

The journey of the six successful villages and their Village Champions will be filmed for a major prime time BBC One series in winter 2010.

Bringing new life to UK villages

We are inviting villages across the UK to apply to BIG with ideas for successful enterprises that will help revive their communities, create new jobs and improve the quality of life of local people.

BIG and the BBC believe that villages are often sitting on a range of untapped potential that, with the strength of the community behind them, could be turned into thriving businesses.

Village SOS also aims to make an impact beyond the funded villages through a major learning campaign, which will help other villages use the learning and enthusiasm to take a bold step towards starting a new business that will regenerate their own communities.

Can my village apply?

If you live in a rural village with fewer than 3,000 people and have an idea for a new business that could bring energy and life back to your community, then Village SOS could be for you.

Your village on TV

The BBC will be documenting the journey of the six villages and their Village Champions for a major prime time series for BBC One in winter 2010. The programmes will follow the new enterprises from start-up to trading.

What to do next

Find out more about the programme in the questions and answers section.

Contact

If you have any questions about the programme and whether you are eligible, ring the BIG helpline on 0844 88 88 677 or email us at: general.enquiries@biglotteryfund.org.uk

http://www.biglotteryfund.org.uk/prog_v ... us=theProg

Please note our new company name and e-mail address
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/