Living without money! TV programme

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
invisiblepiper
A selfsufficientish Regular

Living without money! TV programme

Anyone else catch this last night. It was on around 8pm?
Interesting in a snippet/magazine kind of way - but not enough depth to hold any real meaning.

I think the one thing that these presenters 'trying poverty' have in their favour, is the psychological advantage of knowing they can get out at any time - just like the Georgian ladies who played at being shepherdesses! :?
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Living without money! TV programme

Just reminded me of a song...

From Pulp's Common People
I said 'pretend you got no money'
She just laughed and said 'your so funny'
I said 'yeah - but I can't see anyone else smiling in here'

So is it entertainment to watch someone be poor?, how sad :(
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

They did summat similar a few years ago; a politition had to live on the average wage for his constituancy, in a typical council house. They did workout C Tax, electricity, gas water etc but that was about it.

He only did it for two weeks & said how easy it had been! Course it was; NO clothes, shoes for him or his (ficticious) family, NO major purchases like baby equipment, furniture, white goods etc, NO holiday however modest, NO vehicle expense except petrol, NO annual bus ticket, NO prescription charges, NO car parking fees at hospitals, NO school trips, NO presents for birthdays or xmas, NO extras at all. Just bills and food...apparently that was all people need!

He then returned to his luxury dwelling, with its library, pool & acre of landscaped grounds, saying "the poor whinge about nothing!!!" :angryfire:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I've not watched it - mother's huffing and puffing because the laptop's making a noise while she's watching Bargain Hunt - but I've found it here

http://video.stv.tv/bc/catchup-tonight- ... 0105-2002/

Saw a few seconds - I think it might make me angry!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

theabsinthefairy

I did watch it, and would not recommend it - it was very poorly devised, and left me really wondering what exactly they were trying to say? There seemed to be no point to the programme at all - he was not allowed to beg but was allowed to scrounge off random people he had met on other programmes who were into freecycling and foraging?

invisiblepiper

............ and the depth of information given on these folk was bizarrely weak and short.
Maybe there is a fear that too many people will try foraging etc?
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote: mother's huffing and puffing because the laptop's making a noise while she's watching Bargain Hunt - but I've found it here!
MrsWombat's favourite show!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Helsbells

I got a book for Christmas called "Living the god life" by Linda Cockburn. It is about a family in Australia who decide to try to live for 6 months without buying anything.
They didnt manage it, they bought the odd thing like a takaway and chocolate now and again, but they pretty much lived without money for the 6 months. It was a really good book with interesting tips and facts about saving money as well as about how much energy etc people across the world use.
I really enjoyed it. They lady who wrote it has a blog http://www.lintrezza.blogspot.com/

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

I didn't catch the programme: I'd like to have seen it.

Poverty is an issue for me - personally, because I'm on benefit, and politically, because I think the way that wealth is distributed through the world is grossly unjust. That said, I'm not one of these people who watch TV all day and think that someone else's taxes should fund their cigarette and booze habit.

Broadly speaking, there are two types of poverty: absolute, and relative. I'm sure you all know this already, but I'm going to spell it out because it sometimes helps to define terms.

Absolute poverty is the lack of resources to eat properly, to drink clean fresh water, and have access to shelter, to primary education, healthcare, and adaquate sanitation. We have very little absolute poverty in the UK. World-wide, however, over a billion people scratch out meagre lives on less than a dollar a day.

Relative poverty seems to be what this program was about, and of that we have plenty. Relative poverty simply implies being less well off than your neighbour. For as long as we use the free market system to distribute value, there will always be winners and losers. It is impossible to fix relative poverty under these conditions, and may not be desirable anyway.

There have been moves to try to objectify relative poverty, by asking a random selection of the population what they think is necessary to live a reasonably dignified sort of life, but, frankly, if you have enough to eat and drink, secure lodging, clean clothing, an education of some sort and medical arrangements in place, then I tend to lose interest. There are more deserving cases, no less deserving because they inhabit a different country.

We can fix absolute poverty. This needs emphasising, because as individuals with our own families to care for, it is to easy to ask oneself - 'But what can I do?' and conclude that the answer is nothing, and that it's someone else's problem anyway.

Here's a quote to put the thing in perspective:
The UN calculates that the whole of the world population's basic needs for food, drinking water, education and medical care could be covered by a levy of less than 4% on the accumulated wealth of the 225 largest fortunes. To satisfy all the world's sanitation and food requirements would cost only $13 billion, hardly as much as the people of the United States and European Union spend each year on perfume.
Ignacio Ramonet, 'The politics of hunger'. Le Monde Diplomatique, November 1998

So, let me offer you an initiative, in which you can take part, and which won't blow your budget. It's called 'Poor Food Day' and it's being discussed under the What's Going On topic. Here's the link

Best wishes, 2ndRateMind.