pasta machines

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

pasta machines

I'm thinking of having a bash at home-made pasta and am interested in your opinions as to why or why not I should buy a pasta machine, please. Is pasta better that's been made with a machine, or is it just as good rolled out and cut by hand? All opinions welcome :cooldude:
Rosey xx

StripyPixieSocks

Re: pasta machines

Everyone I know who has bought a pasta machine always uses it twice and then it becomes just 'one of those things' in the back of the cupboard.

I bought one with the best intentions of using it and after two disasters with my pasta making skills I gave up and I have no idea even where the Pasta machine is now...

My Dad always rolled his out and cut it by hand and it was always perfectly fine to me!

It all depends on how much you are going to use it I think...

red

we use our pasta machine all the time - so yes do recommend it. get one that you can get a spagetti attachment for too!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Ellendra

Start out making it by hand.

If you decide its too much work and the taste isn't worth it, then go back to store bought. Some brands are better than others, you might find one you like better.

If you decide the flavor is so good you can't ever stand to eat store bought again, but gee your shoulder gets so sore from that rolling pin, or you can't find a clear spot in your kitchen ever to do the rolling out in, then yes, buy the machine.

(I'm currently saving up MyPoints reward points to buy myself one, with my budget I can't justify spending my own money on it no matter how good it is)

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

By hand. It's quicker, easier to clean up afterwards, and makes better/more consistent pasta.

Rosendula

Thanks, everyone.

Sripy, I know what you mean. I have been guilty of buying things with good intentions only to bung them in the back of the cupboard after a couple of uses. However, over this last year, everything's been coming out of the back of the cupboard and getting used. My food processor, which is years old, has been used more in the last couple of months than in all of its previous years put together. I'm having fun :mrgreen: I think I'm finally at a stage where if I get one, I will actually use it.

Red, thanks for the tip about the spaghetti attachment. I hadn't thought to look for that specifically, and would be so mad if I bought one without it.

Contanido, :cheers: I had forgotten the most important thing to consider when buying any 'labour-saving' device - the dreaded cleaning of it.

I think I will start by hand-making, like you suggested, Ellendra, and see how I feel after that. :thumbright:
Rosey xx

red

pasta machines are not cleaned.. so no problem there

might be worth asking on freecycle? lots of people seem to have them lurking
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

contadina

Also Contadino is referring to egg-free pasta which we eat once or twice a week. Whenever I make egg pasta I always use the machine - I do it in bulk and dry enough to use for a couple of months.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

As Red said, you don't clean a pasta machine other than to dust off the flour occasionally.
I think it's worth the relatively small price just to get even sized spaghetti and tagliatelle or even thickness for lasagne or ravioli.
But if you're not sure, by all means make some by hand first.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

cobnuts
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Keep your eyes peeled in the charity shops too, I often see pasta machines there.

Contadina- do you think you could post a recipe and some instructions for drying pasta? I've tried a few times and the result has been less than brilliant!
You're going home in a combine harvester

contadina

Pasta drying tips, recipe and further pasta machine discussion can be found here http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... hp?p=79080

red

contadina - could you explain how to make macaroni again... pleeeeeeease... :flower: :hugish:
Red

etsy shop

blog

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Ah thanks for this. I too have been hunting down a pasta machine. There doesn't seem to be a single one for sale in Swindon town centre. Argos has them in their catalogue but not in stock. I found one at the outlet village but it was really expensive (doh - it's an outlet village it's supposed to be cheap!).

I tried making it by hand but am useless with a rolling pin. I will have another go by hand though until I can find a machine. Didn't think about the charity shops, that's a good idea.

Cheers
Zoe

contadina

Here's the link for egg-free pasta Red http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... free+pasta

You basically take a ruler-sized piece of thin metal (it's best to get it with squared edges but rounded still works). You can buy them over here but I've fashioned one out of a wire coat hanger before.

Roll you pasta into long thin rolls (1cm or less wide). Cut every 3 cms or so. When you've done them all taking two at a time, place on your work surface. Place your metal tool on top of them and roll it up and down over them quickly to create macaroni-like tubes. Going one direction flattens them and going the back again in the other gets the pasta to come back on itself forming a tube. Carry on doing them two at a time until they're all finished. Leave to rest on a floured board for at least half an hour and cook in salted boiling water for 12 minutes.

red

excellent - will have to try that.
Red

etsy shop

blog