Iowa, USA

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
oldhaus
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Iowa, USA

Hi, found this board today...looks like my type of board. :hugish:

We are Angora Rabbit Breeders/Spinners/Knitters in Iowa USA

I have been raising rabbits since I was about 10, guess that has actually been "awhile" ...

We have Giant, French, and Sating Angora Rabbits, American Fuzzy Lops, Flemish Giants, and Mini Lops.

We are an ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) Rabbitry.

Hope to type/talk to you all soon! :salute:
Joel Huebner
Oldhaus Fibers & Rabbits
Amana, Iowa, USA
www.oldhaus.net

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Iowa, USA

Welcome aboard! I'm just a state away from you, in Wisconsin.

Satin angoras are on my list of critters to raise when I finally get my house built.

Millymollymandy

Hi and welcome!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

PlayingWithFire
Tom Good
Tom Good

Welcome from Scotland :sunny:

My uncle lives in Iowa and my wife is from CT and DC.

Best wishes to you and the bunnies.
Malcolm Handoll
... spreading happiness in Orkney, Scotland, and beyond

in all things "leave it a little better than you find it"

Survival Skills ~ http://www.allfivesenses.com
Social Enterprise ~ http://www.touchwoodproject.com
My Blog ~ http://play2survive.wordpress.com/

red

welcome :flower:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Cloud
Living the good life
Living the good life

And welcome from middle England.

Only once been to Iowa and then only because I got lost in Omaha and ended up on the other side of the Missouri :roll:

I assume you use the angora wool. How does it compare to other wools like alpaca, or mohair for example? I'm no wool expert, just interested. They sound more manageable than goats, llamas or yaks, etc.
Image Image
Augustus and Hattie

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Welcome to ISH :flower:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

oldhaus
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Cloud wrote:And welcome from middle England.

Only once been to Iowa and then only because I got lost in Omaha and ended up on the other side of the Missouri :roll:

I assume you use the angora wool. How does it compare to other wools like alpaca, or mohair for example? I'm no wool expert, just interested. They sound more manageable than goats, llamas or yaks, etc.
Ha ha, we're 5+hrs from Omaha, 90 miles from the Mississippi side :)

Angora is finer (warmer) by 10x than sheeps' wool, as fine a baby alpaca. Giant Angora wool has a 3rd wool type called "awn" ... it is literally "clouds" .. we love working w/ the bunnies, and their wool. Every bag, has the bunnies name so we know who's wool (we can tell by feel) is who's (even the white ones) ...

We usually mix it with another type of wool, sheep, alpaca, llama, bison, other colors of angora

TY for asking :) you can see our bunnies on our website http://www.oldhaus.net

JLH
Joel Huebner
Oldhaus Fibers & Rabbits
Amana, Iowa, USA
www.oldhaus.net

Millymollymandy

** Really silly question alert** :lol:

I have to bite the bullet and ask this although I'm probably going to be cringing with embarrassment - but:

OK you get wool from shearing sheep and goats so how exactly do you get the angora wool from rabbits? :scratch: Is it just brushed or combed off them or do you clip them? And is angora wool that we know of commonly from knitting the stuff from angora goats or from angora rabbits? (Oh god brain is going into overdrive here now :shaking2: ) so could you not do the same thing with those really hairy (is it angora? persian?) cats? :oops: :oops: :oops:

(and if the answer is on your website but I was too lazy to look I'll feel even more silly! :mrgreen: )

oldhaus
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Millymollymandy wrote:** Really silly question alert** :lol:

I have to bite the bullet and ask this although I'm probably going to be cringing with embarrassment - but:

OK you get wool from shearing sheep and goats so how exactly do you get the angora wool from rabbits? :scratch: Is it just brushed or combed off them or do you clip them? And is angora wool that we know of commonly from knitting the stuff from angora goats or from angora rabbits? (Oh god brain is going into overdrive here now :shaking2: ) so could you not do the same thing with those really hairy (is it angora? persian?) cats? :oops: :oops: :oops:

(and if the answer is on your website but I was too lazy to look I'll feel even more silly! :mrgreen: )
Ha hah a... it's ok. I get this question a couple times a week. Let's spread the knowledge :) "Angora Wool" only comes from Angora Rabbits. ARBA (the American Rabbit Breeders Association) has 4 recognized breeds of Angora Rabbits. Giant Angora (which you must clip), French Angora (you pluck when they are molting), Sating Angora (ditto on the molting) and English Angora (ditto on the molting, but some do clip) ... BTW that is "largest to smallest" too ... Giants are 11+ pounds, French and Satins are around 8 pounds, and English are ~6 pounds.

There is a group of "International German Angora Breeders" ... they have a standard simular to the Giant Angora, but have lineage restrictions. IDK ?

Mohair is the wool product from Angora Goats. And Cashmere comes from "hairy" goats or sheep, it's not a breed thing but a hair type... (as I understand)

Yes, I have links to most of this on my website, just have to dig a bit ;)

I know about the Persian "Angora" Cats, they have "hair" and not really wool. The difference being a straight smooth hair shaft vs. a wool shaft that has crimp and surface "micro hooks" That's a whole other page. Oh oh and "long dog hair" like from an Afghan Hound... ditto on the straight slippery hair ... (like the cat)

How's that?

have a good day, do look @ the bunnies on my website & go through some of the links... ton's of bunny info :)

JLH
Joel Huebner
Oldhaus Fibers & Rabbits
Amana, Iowa, USA
www.oldhaus.net

wolfsong
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Does that mean I can have rabbit wool socks? :?
And who came up with the idea, its not the kind of thing you think of every day!
Great idea though, looking at the 'site, really cute!! (and i don't say that very often! :lol: )
seriously, what can you use the wool for? i wouldn't have thought you get that much from a rabbit...
As I ping from tree to tree I wonder... why do I seem to have transformed into a pinging tree-dwelling thing?

oldhaus
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

wolfsong wrote::scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Does that mean I can have rabbit wool socks? :?
And who came up with the idea, its not the kind of thing you think of every day!
Great idea though, looking at the 'site, really cute!! (and i don't say that very often! :lol: )
seriously, what can you use the wool for? i wouldn't have thought you get that much from a rabbit...
Yes, baby booties, hats, socks, mittens scarves, sweaters... anything you'd like VERY SOFT, and VERY VERY WARM!

JLH
Joel Huebner
Oldhaus Fibers & Rabbits
Amana, Iowa, USA
www.oldhaus.net

Millymollymandy

Thank you so much for that explanation Oldhaus! From knitting I do know the difference in 'feel' between angora and mohair - one I could wear touching my skin, the other not!!! I am trying to have a look at your website but I got a bit lost looking at the weather map at the bottom of the home page - fascinating over the town names in your state like Haiwatha and Manchester - so different :mrgreen: .... I live in a teeny hamlet of 13 houses called La Porte and there's a La Porte City there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right where was I? :lol:

oldhaus
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Millymollymandy wrote:Thank you so much for that explanation Oldhaus! From knitting I do know the difference in 'feel' between angora and mohair - one I could wear touching my skin, the other not!!! I am trying to have a look at your website but I got a bit lost looking at the weather map at the bottom of the home page - fascinating over the town names in your state like Haiwatha and Manchester - so different :mrgreen: .... I live in a teeny hamlet of 13 houses called La Porte and there's a La Porte City there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right where was I? :lol:
You got here... ha ha ha... WE have many towns names from Native American names "Hiawatha" and many of Ethnic/regional names "Manchester" but some from "guys" too ... Dubuque, Marquette, McGregor. Our little village of Amana, was a German Communial Society from the early 1800's to 1932. Amana is translated from the German Bible "remain true" so it's all very interesting. Waterloo, ... I can go on & on.

Iowa is native for "land between two rivers" ... the Missouri and Mississippi rivers...

Many county names are native names "Black Hawk, Allamakee, Winneshiek, Pottawattamie,

Prarie du Chien (land of the dogs) is in Wisconsin.

There, that's your Iowa/NE-Iowa Civics lesson.

TY for asking/noticing :)
Joel Huebner
Oldhaus Fibers & Rabbits
Amana, Iowa, USA
www.oldhaus.net

CyberPaddy66
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi
Life's a beach until you get sand in your pants!