Childhood food memories

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular

Childhood food memories

A recent post about pancakes made me wonder...what food do other people remember as "special" from their childhood?? I still have hankerings after cinnamon toast, especially on a cold sunday evening when the fire is alight. Also suddenly remembered condensed milk on toast (also sunday evenings) but when I tried it, it seemed too sweet and not as special as I thought! :(
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

zaxdog
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Childhood food memories

My Mum's lasagna, cold meat salads in the summer and Mum's ace soup. Also homemade doughnuts, oat and raisin cookies and huge cream filled meringues !

All hail my Mum(jessiemac on the forum)'s cooking!!!

pelmetman

We used to have lots of meals with my Nanna & Grandad in the 50's - things like tripe, brains, hearts, chittlings, ox tails, great bowls of steaming hot stew. Porridge with full fat Jersey Milk.

At Christmas time Nanna would make lots of Xmas Puddings for her tenants (they were landlords), can't imagine that happening today. It was always a tradition that everyone had to have a stir of the puddings and, of course, silver sixpences were put in.

Apart from the porridge, stew and Xmas Puds wouldn't touch the rest these days :pukeright:

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I'd certainly have a bit of thick seam (if I could find anywhere that sells tripe these days). Love it!!!!! And we've recently started buying lambs hearts - they're very tasty too.

My two fondest memories were my Dad's steak and kidney pie (although he called it meat and potato pie) - he put it in the oven to slow cook in an old Pearson stewpot and put the crust on in the evening. Of course in those days he wouldn't have thought twice about having the oven lit for that long :shock: I make it myself in the slow cooker but it's not quite the same. Pretty damn good though :lol:

The other was the day after Boxing Day stew - we always had a huge Christmas dinner for all the extended family - turkey, pork, a whole ham plus all the usual stuff. Boxing Day was at my Aunts - she was no cook :pukeright: :lol: so the day after Dad chucked everything in a bit stockpot with chilli (none of my friends had ever heard of them) - it was fab.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

oldjerry

Two things stick in my mind.We used to kill the pigs we kept for ourselves at home.Dadwould string them up and we'd make black pudding from the hot blood as we bled them.I still make it now,but you can only buy cold blood from the abbatoir,and when you re-heat,it's not nearly as good.
secondly,4 or 5 times a year,Dad and me would visit an old mate of his in Anglesey,and go cockelling off Newborough .We'd take a bucketfull,fill it with fresh water,leave overnight,then flick them from their open shells,and put in light vinegar.Homemade oatmeal biscuits,cockles, and acouple of pints of dad's homebrew,I've just stepped back nearly half a century...

southeast-isher

Did anyone have bread and dripping? Or worse, bread and pullit.

Milims

Pobbies! This was comfort food - especially afer being ill. All it is is bread in warm milk with honey on but it's sooooo comforting.
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Susie

Milims wrote:Pobbies! This was comfort food - especially afer being ill. All it is is bread in warm milk with honey on but it's sooooo comforting.
Oh my God! I saw the title of this thread and came over to say exactly this! I thought my mother had made it up though, I didn't think anyone else had it! We called ours Pobs and we had it with sugar instead of honey.

My mother also used to give me raw sausages, and sugar in an egg cup (not together, on separate occasions), but now we know that was Wrong. Four root canals so far although the dentist assures me it is just bad luck and related to something different;-).
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tatie Pot - at least that's what my Mum (who is from Northumberland) called it. I have recollections of a gloopy, thick, rich lamb stew containing whole onions but, wouldn't you know it, she can't remember the recipe (in fact, I'm not convinced she can remember what I'm talking about). I have tried and tried over the years, but I've never successfully reproduced it.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

battybird

southeast-isher wrote:Did anyone have bread and dripping? Or worse, bread and pullit.
My OH had fond memories of bread (had to be the thick crust) and dripping, so I gave him some the other week...tastes change! :pukeright:
My grandad used to be groundsman at the local athletic track and if we were REALLY good we were "allowed" to push the huge broom around the track to sweep it (Yorkshire man!) and afterwards he would give us really strong tea with condensed milk in it. My children (now all grown up), hanker after fruit crumbles, homemade cakes and roast dinners (dont get them in Thailand!!) I wonder what else this generation of kids will remember fondly??
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

becks77

All the school puddings especially Manhester tart, yum and hot beetroot I think they did it in arrowroot?
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Silver Ether

southeast-isher wrote:Did anyone have bread and dripping? Or worse, bread and pullit.
The dripping one yes ... I loathed it .... :pukeright:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

Silver Ether

becks77 wrote:All the school puddings especially Manhester tart, yum and hot beetroot I think they did it in arrowroot?
and me ... I loved Cornflake pie tart really as it didn't have a lid and date pie .... I wonder how you make dat pie .. with really thick custard... floats away with dates ....
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

grahamhobbs

Oh what a distant memory, I loved bread and dripping, especially if you got a good bit of jelly! The other thing was winkles and brown bread for Sunday tea or what about toasting bread by an open coal fire.

Talking about tripe, when I was 18 I went up North for the first time, they had tripe butchers, nothing but tripe in all sorts of shapes and colours (not just the white stuff), being a Londoner I'd never seen anything like it. I was stood staring at the window, when the butcher called me in and gave me various bits of cold tripe to taste - not that bad, but I've never seen anything like it since (not that I'd go anywhere to look for it). But they were a funny lot up there, the Fish and Chip shop didn't sell fish, except on Fridays, only about 4 different types of meat pie.

Reading about people remembering cinnamon and chillis, the most exotic thing we ever had was rice pudding or a banana.

redglass
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Salt fish. I've read more than once that salt fish only came to the UK with Jamaicans who came to live here in the 1970s but my family (of Irish descent) had it in Liverpool in the late 50s/early 60s and it was lovely for Sunday breakfast with hot bacon fat on top of it...I haven't had it for about 45 years now and can still remember how good it was.
Homemade soda bread with very salty butter.
My mum's scones cooked in a long loaf shape and then cut in slices.
Treacle tart made with treacle, not golden syrup.
Mince and onion pie baked in the oven on an old plate. I'm drooling now...