Where to start?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
scaredish
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Where to start?

I live in the centre of Aberdeen. At the moment, I'm struggling to find a job. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get started on gathering food? Even herbs to make into tea would be useful. On some days I can only afford to drink tea anyway. Please help if you can.

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Where to start?

If you can find stinging nettles, you could stir fry the young shoots (or cook them) as a kind of spinach.

Good luck!

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Passing on a tip I learnt here, ground elder is edible, and around now. It can be eaten raw or cooked, and tastes a little like parsley. It's easier to harvest than nettles!

I'm looking forward to dandelion flowers coming out later in the spring. They're nice dunked in pancake batter and fried, or used for tea (6-8 flowers per cup). Remove as much of the greenery as you can without the flowers falling apart. There are lots of other uses for dandelions too, but these are the ones I like (and can be bothered with).
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

scrap
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

It won't be long before the wild garlic is up again.
Look for it on shady places under trees,parks etc.
It's not hard to identify,it smells and tastes like garlic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramsons

A couple of handfulls,chopped finely and mixed with a little (olive-) oil,grated cheese and salt & pepper makes a delicious pasta sauce.
Add crushed nuts to the mix and it's a kind of pesto that will keep for a couple of weeks.
Just keep it covered with a thin layer of oil.

Also great for hearty pancakes with goat's cheese, chicken in cream sauce or in a tomato salad.

Me and my missus usually go for a forage in the Amsterdamse bos every spring,it has become a bit of a tradition.
Just harvest the leaves,the small bulbs are not really worth the effort IMO.
(And it's a protected plant in the Netherlands,so I try to disturb it as little as possible.
In fact I'm probably not allowed to pick it in the first place,but it just tastes too damn good. :lol: )
''I'm riding a pig and trashing things,I dunno what else I'm supposed to do here.''
(My wife, while playing Lego pirates of the carribean.)

''If you open your mind too far your brain will fall out''

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi, Urban wasteground is a good place to look for Shaggy ink caps (but not til a bit later in the year- september/october time), and they are easy to spot and identify. In cities i've never found well manicured parks very productive, but abandoned places and foresty places can be quite interesting. Hope this helps! Kate : )