How to make your own natural alum crystal deodant?

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
wildbee
Tom Good
Tom Good

How to make your own natural alum crystal deodant?

I've just bought a huge bucket of powdered aluminium sulphate to tan a couple of deerskin rugs with and wondered if it is possible to make some deodorant sticks too.

I've seen youtube vidoes for how to grow alum crystals but not sure if this is the same thing, or even the same type of alum?

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to make your own natural alum crystal deodant?

Alum proper is a hydrated form of Potassium Aluminium Sulphate - not the same thing as Aluminium Sulphate. It's the Potassium Aluminium version which has anti-bacterial properties and so is used in deodorants. However, the Aluminium version is a dehydrator, so it also often finds its way into deodorants.

Given the looseness of chemical labelling these days, I have no idea which one you have.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

wildbee
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: How to make your own natural alum crystal deodant?

I just have aluminium sulphate proper, the type that is made chemically and it does say it's an irritant on the label! ~Probably not a good idea to rub it on yourself. I've done a bit more reading about the deo sticks and they all say their alum comes from volcanic rocks?