BBQ

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good

BBQ

What have we all been 'slapping' on it, or are planning too...

This week we have had, in no particuar order,

Salmon, bangers, burger and with peri peri... king prawn, squid,turkey and chicken. Also veg, new spuds and slaw.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BBQ

I have to admit that as a grumpy old man, I can't stand barbecues.
Mind you, I must have evolved from a grumpy young man, as I never saw the attraction of competing with all the insect world who wanted a free meal (either the food or from me), having serviettes blow down the garden, having smoke wafting everywhere you decide to sit and generally wondering why it's somehow better than eating indoors.
But then, that's surely what you've come to expect from me. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

contadina
A selfsufficientish Regular

We pretty much live on barbecues all summer as it's too hot to put the oven on in the house. Over the past few weeks we've been scoffing all manner of bbq-ued veg; slices of courgettes, with oil, garlic, lemon and mint are lush, as are melt in the mouth aubergines and spiced potato wedges. On the burger front we've mostly been eating broad bean and spinach burgers, feta, potato and courgette burgers, aubergine, feta and parsley burgers and chard and walnut burgers. My husband (who is not a vegetarian) has also been enjoying the odd sausage and bombetti (pounded meat wrapped around cheese, more meat, herbs etc). Best of all, I've been making pitta bread on it. I thought I'd give it a go as we mostly eat bread machine bread during the summer as it's too hot to bake.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

how do you make bread on your BBQ contadina? is it flat bread?

im having problems making bread in macedonia. the flour is different and it always turns out really dence. i could make grate loafs in scotand but i just cant get it right here. they have flour 500 for bread and 400 for cakes. i was told they put baking powder in the bread from the bread factory, i tried it but it still didnt work. any suggestions?

i also want to make pasta but im unsure what flour to use, 400 possibly ( i think 400 is plain flour ) they dont seem to have any other flour types here. its really frustraiting having limited ingridients. do you know anything about pasta?

sorry iv got totally off topic!

we've just had the meat on the BBQ so far as we dont have many veg ready to harvist yet as the weather has been terrible!
pork stakes, sausages and pork burgers ( from the pig in the freezer! )
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

contadina

Just make regular dough, either white or wholemeal, and allow to rise, before knocking back and cutting into chunks. Roll into balls and let rest for 10-mins, before rolling into shape (either round or oval) and place on an old baking tray, which has been warming up on the BBQ. Flip after a a few minutes and cook for a couple more. They cooked and puffed up nicely, just like proper pitta pockets. I'm fairly sure you could try other flatbreads this way (I cook chapati's naans, tortillas etc on my cast iron hob in the winter) so don't see why it wouldn't work on a tray on a BBQ.

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Try mixing the two flours together and adding just a bit more yeast. Is your yeast fairly fresh?
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

i tried frist with frozen yeast ( defrosted first of course ) but my gran-in-law told me it had been in the freezer a while.
then i bought new packets of dry yeast, but still had the same results.
iv tried leaving it over night to rise, leaving the yeast 30 min before adding to the flour, heating the yeast up more, and nothing has made any difference. ecsept when i het up the yeast more i killed it and it was the worse loaf of the lot!

i think they must add loads of chemicals the the bread here that you buy to make it light and fluffy and its impossible to recreate that at home.

the bread alwasy comes out smelling really yeasty and being really dence.

my bread always came out fine when i made it in the UK with packets of dry yeast. i use jamie olivers recipe, worked everytime, but not in macedonia!!!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'