Out of date tins

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Out of date tins

Advice please is it ok to use tins past their stamped date.....daughter is making caramel shortbread but the condensed milk is 3 months out of date looks and smells and taste ok I think (years since I even tasted the stuff)

cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Out of date tins

used tin of pre made caramel (bought so i didn't have to made up) 6 months out of date as part of cake filling. Kids and i had a Upoon full to try and no ill effects.

Have known my nan to use tinned salmon and ham over 2 years out of date, we are all still fit and well.

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

thanks I'm sure it will be fine do feel a bit queasy now but that good of been the 2 large spoonfuls I had to try it out forgot how sickly but nice it is

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

3 months? Good grief! I recently finished off a tin of treacle that was nearly two decades past its use-by date.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

I agree with Zech.. 3 months isn't into the "worth worrying about" category for any tinned goods.

If the tin is undamaged and I can remember purchasing the tin within my lifetime, it's in the "probably ok" category.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

its was to make caramel shortbread so the slight risk of a head in a bucket is well and truly worth it...lol

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I never worry about the dates on tins either.
However, that said I always look for damage . If the label shows signs of damage though for example water then this may be an indication that at some point the tin has been stored in a less than perfect situation. Clearance sales of "de identified " tins have sometimes been removed of their labels for this reason , although this isn't a hard and fast rule as some supermarkets just don't like their names on such lines. I have also read that tins with the pull off lids, ring pull type, have a potentially shorter lifespan presumably due to the thinness of the metal.
Having said all of that pessamistic advice I've never had a problem with an undamaged can of any sort so I really wouldn't worry.

Pete

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

if it aint bulging, and there is no rust on the inside when you open it, smells and looks ok it is probably safe if it aint meat or fish (botulism not fun).
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular

There was a tin found in a shipwreck that was 150+ years old. Upon opening, it was found to still be in edible condition, and the cat that the contents were fed to suffered no ill effects.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

as long as no dents and not swelling will be fine
use bydate are a waste of time on a lot of things
brough a load of cheep melons as used by date are up the things sat on by side for 2 more weeks before they was ripe enough to eat
cooked meats and fish produce is the only one to worry if passed dates
Darn that Wabbit

thethriftysquirrels
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

It's good to hear that someone else uses out of date treacle...I only ever use black treacle at Christmas time and always have half a tin leftover! I normally don't worry about sell-by dates on tins but the treacle specifically says 'dispose of on expiry' so it's always been a bit of a worry.
It wasn't until late in life that I discovered how easy it is to say, 'I don't know.' W. Somerset Maugham

My blog: http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk please take a look and enter the competition!

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Be careful with ye olde tins of black treacle.

We had a tin explode in a cupboard once. Went off with a "bang" and coated the contents of the cupboard with an 'orrible sticky mess!

thethriftysquirrels

yuck... :pale: maybe I'll have to get it used up then...gingerbread has to be favourite!
It wasn't until late in life that I discovered how easy it is to say, 'I don't know.' W. Somerset Maugham

My blog: http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk please take a look and enter the competition!

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

I actually finished my tin of black treacle when I made Christmas cakes last October - remember it had a date of 1998 on it so was probably about time for a change :). Will buy new later this year when I need it again.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Ellendra wrote:There was a tin found in a shipwreck that was 150+ years old. Upon opening, it was found to still be in edible condition, and the cat that the contents were fed to suffered no ill effects.
awesome, but cats are not a good benchmark. their stomachs contain enzymes which can break down even camplobacter and salmonella....

BUT I second all above comments. as long as the tin is in tact, not bulging, no rust and undamaged, it's fine.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!