down at the allotment and in the garden what are you up to

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
gunners71uk
A selfsufficientish Regular

down at the allotment and in the garden what are you up to

well harvested 2 marrows 8 courgettes 5lb of spuds 4lb of runner beans 2lb french beans all estimated weights.did some digging then the rain came and i went home got there at 7.30 am
Last edited by gunners71uk on Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gunners71uk

had sunday off went down with james he is 16 has special needs he sat while i picked about 8lb runner beans and a marrow we gave a marrow to a freind and some runner beans to a couple of friends and still have loads left. wifey back to school so i beeen doing me domestic goddess bit as well lol
regards dave

Boots

Sounds like you are having a jolly time of things Gunners. Do you have an apron for your domestic goddess shift? I bought my mate a pretty pink check one from an op shop once just for a giggle, and the crazy bugger puts it on every now and then when he's getting real serious in the kitchen! Dances about singing and stuff...

I should be planting, as it is good growing weather here at the mo. Went down to the markets last weekend with plans of stocking up on seedlings but the plant guy wasn't there, so am missing some good rains.

Am going to have to head over to a town this week and stock up I guess. Have fun with life, mate. I always enjoy your posts.

gunners71uk

apron amd suspenders boots lol (joking)no i have pvc apron lol. went down and dug two beds for me spring cabbages two 22 ft rows forked over and fertilizer in probably be putting them tomorrow.i am still picking loads of runner beans.what is the growing seasons like in aussie .im interested,regards dave

Boots

Well, that depends a lot on conditions. I am not very good with times, dates, seasons etc. First year on the farm we ate daily out of the house yard, but this past year was a real bugger. A really long hot and dry stretch left us with baked ground and no amount of shadecloth or watering seemed to make much of dent in things.

Things have suddenly taken a swing for the better with small amounts of rain and days cooling to about 25, and there is a slight tinge of green again - unfortunately its not getting a real good start as there are animals who have been waiting on it for a long time. Both wildlife and domestic. Our wet season has disappeared in the past two years and has been replaced with some shocking winds lately. Sometimes the wind holds a bit of rain, but not much.

A lot of my pens are barren and the paddocks are in bad shape. I have two that look like they are recovering a little. I might get some quick crops through if I hurry up and get them in the ground, but it is likely to swing hot again pretty soon. I have just been concentrating on restocking the paddocks with feed really... corn, sunflowers and bluegrass, not much time has gone into the house yard at all. Have some stunted carrots, couple of tomatoes... and the citrus is booming, but that's about it foodwise.

Have three Hudini goat kids just driving me crazy at the mo. They are running amuck and generally undoing a lot of what I do. They have given my bouganvillea boulevarde a shocking haircut and the poor plants are bare to about 2 metres with lovely colours at the top only. Have a heap of fencing to do. Am sure it never ends, and if you take a break as I did, it seems like a huge job when you get back to it.

Ducks have begun laying again with the rain and cooler weather. So very glad about that. But must most definately get some more food in, as we are living on a very high protein diet at the mo.

gunners71uk

cheers boots for that info its good to see what goes on in aussie

gunners71uk

picked loads runner beans, put nearly 40 spring cabbage plants in , picked 2 marrows

Boots

what's a spring cabbage?

gunners71uk

its a cabbage which you put in ,september early october it over winters and ready in march time approx ie spring time, the frisky time for nature boots lol.hence spring cabbage ,try this boots it might more sense then me.
http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_dia ... _page1.asp

Boots

oh :mrgreen: no worries Gunners, I thought it was a type like a Chinese lettuce.

These Blonde moments are increasing.

gunners71uk

well i was down fri picked some runner beans about 6lbs potatoes about 10lbs.some parsnips and some leeks.sadly my leg is hurting bad and i have not gone down today i am so frustrated as i have some weeds and i want to get on with things but it seems to be the calf muscle etc i have pain killers ibrofern jel and tablets :(

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bummer mate!

I hope it gets better soon!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

Poor Gunners! It might be your body's way of saying "slow down mate, and give the digging a rest"! :mrgreen: Hope you get better soon.

gunners71uk

my knee still hurts i hobblesd the mile down and weeded where the spuds had been., picked some beans and squash and hobbled home took mr an hr and 20 mins an hr longer,as my knee kept given up.its better in alot of ways just the hinge bit behind the knee but it will get better,dunno if i am going tomorrow yet

ina

Gunners, how many runner beans did you plant? I only stuck the last 8 beans in the ground that were left over from last year - and I have been giving away beans left right and centre because it's too much for me to eat and my freezer is full up! I'd heard that beans hadn't done well downm south this year, but yours and mine obviously are the exception... Need to pick more this weekend, too. My courgettes aren't doing as well as yours, though.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)