sssssssssssssSSSSSNAKE

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Boots
A selfsufficientish Regular

sssssssssssssSSSSSNAKE

Took a coffee out to the deck this arvo while jabbering on the phone. Reclining in an armchair at the edge of pool, when I see this thing move about a foot away... Think my legs retracted into my body because I was unable to move and mate is still rabbiting on about a job on the phone, as a 2.5m snake spreads itself out on the edge of the pool for a bit of sunbake.

If there was any doubt that I have a sphincter, there is none now.

When bodily control returned and I was actually able to move, I realised it was a tree snake and there was no reason at all to be alarmed. Well... so my mate at the other end of the phone kept assuring me.

It is an Aussie adage that the only good snake is a dead snake, so mate and I spent some time discussing the snakes fate, with my eyes firmly stuck on it. She's telling me to kill it, and I am hesitating because tree snakes don't hurt us, do they?

Then I mention that it is very close to my mudbricks... And there are gaps where the earth sits in under the roof... and my bedroom is on the other side of those mudbricks... I definately do not want it in my bedroom.

She asks me if it might be the biggest snake I've encountered in my bedroom and I tell her to stay on topic.

Despite her killing urges, I decide to move the snake on. So with phone at ear for reassurance, I get Pool Broom and move it along edge and it heads up a nearby tree. Ah, so yes - it is definately a tree snake. Stop sweating.

I decide the tree is still too close to my bedroom, so I will shake the tree so that it drops over the fence and goes into a tree further away. I put the pool broom against the trunk of the leuceana and give it a big push. The tree swings out over the fence and the snake holds on, only to swing back over my head and I swear it grinned at my frozen, contorted form as it did so.

My mate is not very helpful on the end of the phone. There were moments when I am sure she was cheering for the snake.

I tell her it is now moving out of the tree and along the trellis TOWARDS MY BEDROOM. She tells me it is probably angry now. Aaaah! :shock:

I watch as the snake considers travelling along the water pipes, and then changes its mind, turns back and DISAPPEARS UNDER THE ROOF. It leaves about 30cm of its tail sticking out just to ensure I have no doubt it is now in my bedroom.

aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I run round and into my bedroom. No sign of it.

I run back out to look for its tail. No sign of it.

I run around in circles for a bit.

I suddenly remember snakes don't like cold. So I put the airconditioner on! And the Air cooler. And the fan! My room is now emitting cyclone like winds.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mate tells me to calm down. So I go to office and assure her I am perfectly rational as I peer through the bedroom door and will the thing away with all number of mental hocus pocus.

Has been about 5 hours now. Tis Dark. There is still no sign of it...

*shudder*

The moral of this story: Don't assume that just because a tree snake is supposed to harmlessly exist in trees, that it will actually do as its supposed to do!
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

PurpleDragon

OH
MY
Good
AAAhhgggg!

Well, I do like snakes - if they stay where they belong. Don't fancy one in my bedroom. Yikes!

I hope he shows up - outside your bedroom preferably - and you can get a good nights sleep
PurpleDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no snooze button on a hungry cat

red

Re: sssssssssssssSSSSSNAKE

Boots wrote:
If there was any doubt that I have a sphincter, there is none now.
too funny!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Camile
Living the good life
Living the good life

If that happened to me .. I would be the one up the tree ! :lol:

what kind of tree snake was it ? one of them lovely green ones ?

Good luck and I hope he's not in your bedroom !

Boots

Looked like this...

With thanks to Google, have just reassured myself that my life is not at risk, however they are active both day and night, and like lush environments. So much for developing the pool area.... :?
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

cat
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Oh my goodness! have you found him?

I've just told Luke (7) and he was very impressed, both by the size of the snake and your bravery! He was also worried that Father Christmas might be in danger so I explained that his holidays were over and he was back in the north pole!
vertigo is not fear of falling, but the desire to fly (jovanotti)

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Get outta there, Boots. 'S dangerous.

Go and live in the city, like any normal person does.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Shirley

It's a gorgeous snake... but WHAT a scare... and HOW BRAVE were you!!

As MP says... it's dangerous out there... come and live in Scotland!!
She asks me if it might be the biggest snake I've encountered in my bedroom and I tell her to stay on topic.
This comment has resulted in my desk, keyboard and monitor being liberally spurted with red wine!!! :mrgreen:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

HILLDREAMER90
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Quite like snakes, NOT in my bedroom though :shock: My advice, sleep in the living room & get a pet mongoose :lol: A.
DONT NOTICE THE TINY FLEA IN THE OTHER PERSONS HAIR AND OVERLOOK THE LUMBERING YAK ON YOUR OWN NOSE.

Boots

Well, survived the night without another encounter. Delayed going until I was REALLY TIRED though, so didn't think about it for long. Woke up today and the place was like a sauna, so my head was straight back thinking about it as I attempted to cool the place down.

Extension cords have been getting extra attention from me today and I am actually amazed by how many I have! :shock:

This is my first encounter with a harmless one... Truth is, I have only ever bumped into Taipans, Browns and Red Belly Blacks before, and you sort them very quickly, because well... they just have to go! This little bugger has the privilege of being friendly... I just hope it does not become too friendly, because I must admit, harmless or not - He is NOT GOING TO LIVE LONG if he has set up residence in my bedroom!

I have no idea what a mongoose is Hilldreamer... Should probably search it. I have peacocks here who roost on my roof some nights, and I kind of hoped they would be there last night when I went to bed as they are supposed to be good with snakes. But no... Cat has just had kittens, so can't put her to work... We also have an Australian Coolie (dog) who is really pushing his luck with me at the mo, as he is a large beast dog and is no good with the goats. I have spoken with him, and told him this snake is his last chance to redeem himself! So, he begrudgingly has bedroom privileges for a few days.

Oh and Yep, tell Luke Santa is safe in New Zealand at the moment, Cat. He got a phone call last week and was asked to attend a behaviour management session on a sheep farm over there.

Millymollymandy

If it is harmless, why don't you leave it be?

We have harmless grass snakes in my garden who like a good old swim in my pond. We found a load of baby ones in the compost last year plus a load of unhatched eggs, which we moved (with some of the rotting compost) to a rotting wood pile in our bit of woodland.

Here's a piccy of one of the babies inside a bucket. I think it is soooo cute!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well done Boots!

The only way I like snakes is with a glass pane between me and them! Family history has my mum being monstered by a brown snake in Qld!

You did well not to panic too much. I think we both need to keep away from things that bite! (not so easy in Aus)

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Boots

If it is harmless, why don't you leave it be?
I'm quite happy to leave it be - IF IT LEAVES ME BE!

Curling up in my bed is not leaving me be.
Scoping potential residency sites in my bedroom is not leaving me be.
Wrapping itself around my ankle as I sleep is definatelyy not leaving me be.

Being found in my bedroom is a ticket to snake heaven.
Simple as that.

And it knows that... because it heard me yelling,
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHH!. No, no, no. Don't go in there! Not the bedroom. No, No NO!"

The buggers still bite M3! The bite isn't lethal but thankyou anyway - no thanks. God/Buddha/Mother Nature only knows what its been eating!!! Frogs, warty toads, flu carrying birds.... :shock: eeeeeuuuuuhhh!!!!!

Let's not underestimate the psychological harm either, as it sits back laughing at my stealthy casing of the bedroom, bed stripping rituals, and strobe lighting prior to sleep... It had its chance to live happily in a tree like a good little tree snake!

If it turns up in my bedroom I'm donning the riot gear and entering counter-invasion mode. No hesitation.

HILLDREAMER90
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Mongoose--Cat size mammal, kills & eats snakes :wink: A.
DONT NOTICE THE TINY FLEA IN THE OTHER PERSONS HAIR AND OVERLOOK THE LUMBERING YAK ON YOUR OWN NOSE.

Gytrash
Tom Good
Tom Good
Location: West Yorkshire, under a daft hat, with an elf-bolt in his neck...

Went for a walk over the North Yorkshire Moors yesterday, following a trail of medieval crosses built onto prehistoric burial mounds (stop yawning at the back!), and nearly stood on this fella:-

Beautiful! :mrgreen:

We don't really get many snakes where I live - anyone know if it's an Adder or a Grass Snake?

Cheers
Dave