Fresh from the plot/garden

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Just wondering what you've all got in your garden/polytunnel/lottie that you are starting to harvest and enjoy on your plate??

Not much happening for us in our Aberdeenshire garden at the moment - a few salad leaves and herbs only.... but the strawberries are on the way and some of the toms (indoors) have flowers.

If we all post the stuff that we are harvesting we'll get an idea of what's in season at different times across the uk and it might also give folk that aren't growing their own and idea of what is in season.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Stardust
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I have mixed salad Leaves in window boxes and have been nibbling on them for about a week, well not literally nibbling on them but......... oh you know! :roll:
Love your life, your lucky to have it

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good idea!

Ok not much yet really, strawberries, radishes, lettuces, fennel (leaves), comfrey, beetroot leaves (always plant tight rows so that I get three harvests , leaves, tiny beetroot and fully grown), cherries from a tree on the way to the allotment and er apart from the rest of the herbs thats about it. Still, its not even June yet.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

yugogypsy

Green onions, baby kale leaves, red lettuce, white radishes,michihili,herbs.
Lots going on here

Lois

Thurston Garden

We have eaten/sold all our overwintering lettuces, spring onions and spinach. The sorrel has truly gone to seed (but the hens are enjoying it - mmm lemon eggs hehe).

Broad beans (tunnel)are in full flow, but the wee shoppe aint keen on buying them saying they dont sell well being an English veg :shock:

Peas (tunnel) will be ready for the weekend. Carrots (tunnel) are ready but I am saving them for my boxes which I hop to start late June.

Fingers crossed by late June there will be lots ready!
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

Shirley

Re: Fresh from the plot/garden

yugogypsy wrote:michihili
What's michihili please? Never heard of that one :mrgreen:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

red

various herbs and the best radishes I have ever grown - I put a row in teh gh when we first built it a few months back - had to plant something and they are wonderful - the size of golf balls, not woody, chunchy and mild - just how I like them - one is enough for a sandwich. definitely doing that again next year.
nothing else yet.. but we only started this year.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

yugogypsy

Michihili is a chinese cabbage that comes back every year-no matter how many I pull out before they seed. Besides the artichokes they are the most insidious thing in the garden!

Lois

magnuscanis
Tom Good
Tom Good

Nothing in my garden's ready yet, apart from a few herbs. :(

Of course, that's probably just because I didn't get round to sowing or planting anything else until less than 2 weeks ago. My first few radishes are beginning to appear now, so hopefully the other vegetables will follow suit before too long.

As it's my first time growing radishes (and pretty much everything else edible, apart from nasturtiums) I'm wondering how I'll know when they are ready. I'm confident that the radishes should be somewhat bigger than they currently are though (as the largest now only has leaves about 5 or 6 mm across).

- Magnus

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well we are growing kale for the first time and I snuck some in to a stir fry the other night. It was pretty good and "the other pair" didn't even notice. :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fresh air and hard work is currently all I am getting from my plot, but I did plant most stuff a bit late, this is my first year - not so much of a learning curve an a learning rollercoaster.

edit to say... Rhubarb, tonnes of rhubarb
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Mare Owner
Tom Good
Tom Good

Rhubarb is all for me here too. First year for my plot, nothing from there yet.

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Artichoke (noticed my first ever 2 days ago!) Just pulled 3 crates of spuds, carrots, courgetts (just) patty pan, lots of herbs, lettuce, tomatoes (not many yet) peppers, chillis, tayberries, kale onions, all of the above in small quantities! waiting for the gluts!

Bonniegirl

Here are some of the tomatoes and peppers, I made a heap of ragu sauces for the freezer (remember I'm in NZ so the seasons are different

And here is a dinner we enjoyed a few weeks back...everything we produced ourselves:

The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

ina

Thurston Garden wrote: Broad beans (tunnel)are in full flow, but the wee shoppe aint keen on buying them saying they dont sell well being an English veg :shock:
WHAT? :shock: Wish you were a bit nearer - my broad beans are just about flowering... And that not very vigorously. :cry:

Anyway: Chives, chives, chives... (Some of you know the full story! :roll: )

OK, some other herbs, too. And the last spring onions that overwintered (not intentionally!), plus the first autumn-planted onions; provided the cow in the next field isn't too keen on onions, I should have plenty this year just for once! Have planted four varieties.

(Mental note: Must find a way of protecting onions from cow. Last year the buggers pulled up my nicest tatties, just as they were ready...)

I think we have to do something drastic to get my garden going on time in future: Either change the time of year we do the lambing, or change the Scottish seasons! :wink:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)