motorbike and sidecar

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

motorbike and sidecar

We are so pleased...we have just become the proud owners of a Dnepr motorbike and sidecar. :cheers:

For anyone that doesn't know....and I didn't up until two days ago. A Dnepr 11 is the motorbike and sidecar made by the Russians and used by the military in the second world war. :salute:

We brought it home today and stood at the gate looking at our new baby, like a pair of new parents admiring their new baby at a maternity unit.

She is one of the last bits in our French "as near as darn it" self sufficiency project.

We can't wait to cruise around the French country side. No doubt there will be those that think we are a pair of eccentric geriatric rockers. Bur hey, who cares. Not only will it be a cheap form of transport it will be fun too.... :headbang:

Jill.. :flower: Growing old disgracefully and proud of it!!!!!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Onyer Jill, go for it!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Waaaay to go! I've secretly harboured a desire for one of these pieces of agricultural machinery for years.

Now don't let this picture give you any ideas
Stew

Ignorance is essential

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

We've decided to call her NORA.

Because everytime we go round a corner we're hanging on for dear life saying "Bl**dy Nora" !!! :pale: :pale: :pale:

Love the pictures. I said to my OM that's me on the board. He said that's not you on the board, you've got a bigger a**e than that!! :mumum: He is now persona-non-grata for the rest of the day.!!

Honesty is NOT always the best policy!!! :cussing:

Jill.. :flower:

ina

Actually, that picture might not be so far out... When I went to France (on a two week language course in Nice first, and then to work on a farm for 6 months) I went on my trusty old Suzuki 400 (oops, that was in, eh, can hardly remember - 1987???) I somehow forgot about the Mediterranian Alps. Got in a snowstorm 20km before Nice... That was around Easter time. Couldn't see a thing, and went along at 5km/h, with both feet stretched out sideways to prevent me from toppling over. In Nice it was 20 degree C, warmer than most days here now. So be prepared, and be a bit cleverer than I was when studying the maps!!!

Ina

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ina I would never go on a two wheel bike,especially with my OM driving... hence the sidecar. Although we are going to use it to go camping, so I will remember to watch the weather forecasts.

John is going to build a basic mini flatbed trailer to go on the back. Then he is going to build different pods to go on the trailer.
1...For his tools
2...Empty for storage
3...A mini mobile camping kitchen, that we put on legs
4...One for collecting chickens, ducks etc from the market.

They will then stack in the garage. Our son said it will be a bit like Thunderbirds. At which point we all started singing the Thunderbird theme tune and walking around in jerky puppet type movements. :help: my family needs therapy.

ina

At least with all those extras on your bike you should never have a problem with speeding... Are you sure there'll be enough room for yourself on that bike? I think I might almost feel safer on a normal two-wheeler than on one that's bulging at all corners with "pods" and trailers. Come to think of it, I did go shopping with my (push-)bike and trailer in Germany. You could easily transport two crates of beer (ok, ok - or mineral water) or two bags of compost in it. I even pushed home items of furniture on it. And I once strapped a broom along the crossbar and felt like a witch riding home on her broom stick!

Ina

hay331
Tom Good
Tom Good

Well done, that sounds like fun! I remember my father bringing one home when I was a wee tot. My Mother rode pillion and was terrified, sister and myself in side car, we didn't have it for long Mum put her foot down!

One sister lives in Amsterdam which I've visited over the last 15 yrs, you'd be amazed what gets shifted with pushbikes! I've seen whole house removals being done this way :shock:
regards
hay331

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ina, a sedate chug, chug will do me fine. John is going to fit me a sissy back rest and I've no doubt I will be hanging onto him like a limpit.

I've no doubt that when we go camping there will be so much stuff tied on and hanging off it we will look like the Clampits. The dog will probably end up perched on the top of the sidecar looking like a nodding dog...she's a Yorkshire Terrier so there's more truth in that than you would think.

Feel the fear and do it anyway. Lifes too short for regrets, :clock:

ina

Jill, we are expecting photos!!! :shock: :shock:

Ina

cheap&cheerful
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ina,

I don't think you will have to wait for photos, chances are we will be on the national news as the vehicle that caused a twenty mile tailback on the A303!!
And anyone seeing us at night with the moon behind us will think we are a UFO.

cheapandcheery
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

motorbike and sidecar

NORA is for sale!

Yes sadly I have to admit Nora is for sale.
We had a great summer riding around on her but grudgingly have to admit to being TOO old.
John used to neigh on give himself a heart attack everytime he kicked her over, and she could be a rather cantanckerous b..tch at times.. most times infact.
The flies sticking to my teeth and getting up my nostrils was fun!
The dog was not impressed with the sidecar, she's been used to more sedate travelling..haven't we all.
And worst of it all was John would INSIST on wearing his leather jacket with the fringing. Serves me right for buying it for him...it seemed a good idea at the time!!!

Jill...older and wiser
:flower: :flower:

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Don't think I'm not tempted, Jill, and welcome back. But I really think you should reconsider giving in to age so easily; surely one is never too old for a Dnepr - after all, the bike has remained unchanged since it was designed about 250 years ago.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

cheapandcheery
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Nora

Believe me Stew there's giving into old age and growing old gracefully. But there's also knowing when you are taking your life in your hands. I wanna live to grow old disgracefully.
One time we came back from the launderette, washing strapped to every available panel on the bike. Half way home we got a flat in the sidecar. Believe me traveling down the backroads in France in a sidecar with a flat tyre was like rattling along on a horse and cart. And John didn't even know he'd got a flat tyre..just thought it was the usual bumpy road.

Jill

:flower: :flower:

ina

Hey, when I was young and hip, I attended motorbike maintenance classes in London. Our instructor was in his 80s, and turned up most nights on his bike, except when the weather was really filthy. Old age? What's that?

Ok, I do understand the dog not being to happy about it, though! :wink:

Jill, we never did get to see a photo!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)