...........and Radio

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

...........and Radio

Well perhaps just from Muddypause and Ina I have added the words and radio to this section. Here is your chance to talk about the radio if you like.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Blimey!

Right Ina, it seems it's just you and me here, then. Can't believe that's right. Other people here must listen to the radio, too.

But anyway, how could I resist such an invitation?

There used to be a brilliant news round-up on a Friday night called Week Ending. Many comedy writers cut their teeth on it. What distinguished it from later programmes of that ilk was that it could address bad news and tragedy with enormous grace - it wouldn't shirk from finding the wit, but it always managed to combine it with sensitivity.

From the same era was Ronnie Barker's Lines From My Grandfather's Forehead. Monologues, sketches, etc., sandwiched between a mad theme tune.

The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy was a revelation when it first appeared on the radio. Subsequent series were never quite as good as the first, but I remember being stunned to hear the thoughts of a whale as it fell through the air to earth, and it all being resolved by the Infinite Improbability Drive of a spaceship (full power was reached when things became infinitely improbable).

I recently got a newfangled digital radio, which makes tuning in to a different station a simple button press. So, for the first time, I've been straying away from Radio 4. There is a fascinating programme on R3 late at night called Late Junction, where you will hear an amazingly eclectic range of contemporary music from around the world. A really broad mix of stuff, some of it just plain weird. On a Monday night, in the same time slot is Andy Kershaw with his own version of eclectisism (so I'm counting this as one choice).

But it almost goes without saying that the best radio programme ever has to be I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. Nothing more needs to be said.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

magnuscanis
Tom Good
Tom Good

Muddypause wrote: But it almost goes without saying that the best radio programme ever has to be I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. Nothing more needs to be said.
I would concur.

I also used to enjoy Home Truths when it was presented by John Peel. While the replacement presenters do an ok job, it's just not the same anymore and I rarely get round to listening to it these days.

Earlier this year there was a very funny series on Radio 4 on Tuesday evenings called "Mark Watson makes the world a substantially better place" (or something like that).

I was a bit young for the Hitch Hiker's Guide when it was first broadcast, but I did manage to catch most of the first series when they repeated it shortly after Douglas Adams' death a few years back. Since I read the books first I tend to think of that as the definitive version, but I think the radio version (which I think was actually first) can stand up well against it (unlike either the TV or film versions which were good but not nearly as good).

Those are about the only series I've ever followed avidly on the radio, as far as I can recall, although certainly not the only good programmes I've ever picked up.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was given the original trilogy of books one Christmas years and years ago and read them in almost one sitting. Came desperately close to wetting myself laughing on a number of occasions :mrgreen:

Radio - On a saturday night we listen to Radio Donna (Belgium :mrgreen: ) through the computer while playing cards.
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

"I'm sorry I haven't a clue"
The news quiz
just a minute
Gardener's question time
smooth classic at 7

spot the Radio 4 freak :mrgreen:

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Anything involving Tony Hancock should be repeated at least once a year. He was a comic genius. Nowadays it seems easy to be a good comedian with TV, but to be good on radio is a real skill.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

contadino wrote: Nowadays it seems easy to be a good comedian with TV,
A foul mouth seems to help :?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Jimmy Young, Radio two.. the legal Beagle from Norfolk, somebody else for groceries, an expert for freezing stuff, the banter with that irish feller, is he still going?. And pre tv Dick Barton Special Agent, Paul Temple......sigh.

Shirley

I'd forgotten all about Week Ending - that was a really good radio show.

I'm sorry I haven't a clue... FANTASTIC!!!

The News Quiz - also brill.
Earlier this year there was a very funny series on Radio 4 on Tuesday evenings called "Mark Watson makes the world a substantially better place" (or something like that).
Is that the Mark Watson that's Crap At The Environment??
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

magnuscanis
Tom Good
Tom Good

Shirlz wrote:Is that the Mark Watson that's Crap At The Environment??
I've no idea.

He is Welsh though, which may be why I like him.

- Magnus

ina

magnuscanis wrote:
Muddypause wrote: But it almost goes without saying that the best radio programme ever has to be I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. Nothing more needs to be said.
I would concur.

I also used to enjoy Home Truths when it was presented by John Peel. While the replacement presenters do an ok job, it's just not the same anymore and I rarely get round to listening to it these days.
Same here. Glad to see that Muddy and I are not the only radio 4 fans! :mrgreen:

But while he has upgraded to digital, I have gone even greener and listen to a solar/wind-up radio (you can get them for digital, too, but I think you need to wind constantly while you are listening as they need more power...). Which simply means that I don't listen quite as much as I used to, as I have soon learned to turn off if I'm not concentrating on it, so I won't hear things "with half an ear" in the background anymore.

I enjoy the food programme, too - not a celebrity chef listing of impossible recipes, but more food background.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

glenniedragon

I used to love John Peel too, when I heard about his death it felt like someone I really knew. Not the same without him-John Peel sessions were responsible for the start of many music careers and exposing me to some real dodgy punk too!

kind thougths
Deb

Paul
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

way back in 1991, during my 2nd visit to Australia, discovered "Australia all Over" with Macca, brilliant show, [abc Radio]
now listen every week via the Internet On Demand service.
Never miss it.

http://www.abc.net.au/australiaallover/mod_aao.htm

Paul

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Paul wrote:"Australia all Over" with Macca
Paul McCartney does an Aussie radio show??
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Paul

Muddypause wrote:
Paul wrote:"Australia all Over" with Macca
Paul McCartney does an Aussie radio show??
:shock: I dont think so, Diffreant "Macca"